Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Best in a long time...

Training wise I'm mixing it up. I'm still doing the workout that I've always done according to Mark Allen Online I'm just doing them in different orders, every week. It's an idea I came up with.

Many a time I've heard experts talk about mixing it up, not having the body go through the same routine, surprise it. I know that P-90 X promotes that for muscle growth and I've often heard the same thing about food and eating patterns.

I've decided to do the same thing with my training. I'm doing sessions that are based on intuition of how I feel. For example, last week I did my two speed work session, a bike and a run, back to back, then I did weights right afterwards. My legs were thrashed after. Yet on the weekend I had one of my best long rides in a long time.

Today I decided to do my two moderate sessions back to back instead of my mod bike on Monday and mod run on Tuesday. So today it was a 110 km bike and then later in the day a 15 km run. This week I've already done two swims on back to back days. Like I said, I'm doing all the workouts, just mixing them up.

I'm doing the same thing with food. My pattern seems to be one lower day of calorie eating followed by a larger day. If I can keep my calories at 3200 or less I'm okay, even though I'd like to keep it at 2800 or less one day and then 2000 or less the next day. I'm still trying to sort out the eating patterns.

My ride today was amazing. Before I got out the door I got the shock of my life, my sitting resting heart rate was 36 bpm. I've never had it that low, not even lying down. I think the lowest I've ever had it was 38 bpm. When I saw it I asked Alice to take a picture of it on my watch.

Back to the ride. Simply, it was possibly the best moderate ride I've had in 18 - 24 months or at least it was the best ride I can remember in a long time. For the first time in a very long time I felt strong on the bike again. It felt that the hills I rode were effortless. My average speed was 32.45 kph and to put that in perspective the first part of my ride is on number one side road and by the 15 minute point of my ride I'm only averaging 24 kph, I have a lot of ground to make up to get it up to a 32.45 kph average. It was shocking how powerful I was on the bike. I was also remembering the tips that Ian gave me and was practicing them. It's interesting, many of them I was doing intuitively. I really focused on pushing down on my handlebars with my weights and pulling up with my legs. Worked great.

It was also one of those rides that the time flew by. I just pulled into the driveway when it started to rain a little bit. Perfect timing. My legs were pumped and a little tired when I got home. It was a high quality workout. At the time I was thinking I didn't have it in me for a 90 minute run.

Before my bike and after my bike was work time. I dealt with a small AG client problem with the commercial division. It was perfect, just before 8 am I was emailing Rino for approval on waiving some charges. Looks like I'm totally focused on AG to him. Actually I had a dream last night that I was in a parking garage near a beach and could hear Rino and Wayne walking down the stairs from the beach into the parking garage and in a covered area of the garage I hid behind a car on the ground with my head sticking out thinking they were going to walk by. Then Rino just happened to look in and saw me hiding, I was busted, no question about it, I felt so stupid, the odds of him looking was about 1000 to 1 and now all goodwill I built up was gone. Why didn't I just walk out or stand behind the car instead of obviously lying on the ground hiding and being caught for it. It was such a real dream that when I woke up and realized it was a dream I was totally relieved.

I spent some time with Poochie and Abbey. Poochie is doing all the Internet Marketing stuff and asked him for a list of what process they are following. He emailed it and it's exactly what I want to offer customers. No magic. Moin, or Abbey (my second dogs name) is my Admin VA, he's a bit of a character. Reid makes fun of the way he talks behind his back. Moin, doesn't say Bryan, he says "Bryan, Bryan, Bryan" in an Indian voice and Reid runs around the house going, "Oh, Bryan, Bryan, Bryan" in an Indian accent. Tonight I got home from my run and was stretching inside and heard Reid having fun with Alice and Alyssa and going "Oh, Bryan, Bryan, Bryan".

Moin is a bit of a lose canon and more of a hipster Indian. Looks like he's about 30 years old. His English is not to bad. My only problem with Moin is I just want to tell him what I want and hang up. He goes though it so slow, seems like he's making notes, then he'll send me copies of the letters he's going to send or give me details I don't want to know. The other day I got a little short with him and told him, "Moin, I just want to know the time, I don't want to know how the watch was built". I like the guy, he is smart, I'm just whipping him into shape. I hear him yawning all the time because it's 4 am in India, he let's me know it's 4 am and I ask him, "Am I supposed to feel sorry for you?". He goes, "no, no, no, Bryan". The relationship is getting better, it's just important that I train him early, be an a-hole early, show him who's the Alpha dog early and then as he starts doing a really good job I let him off his leash, feed him a snack and pat his head a little more often.

I'm so happy with what Poochie and Abbey are doing. Hopefully it's going to result in sales shortly. I'd told by the end of next week the generic site will be up and then Poochie will be promoting it. Abbey has already got about 5 more artists with awesome artists styles on board at the pricing I need. I'm amazed at the quality of artists and how cheap they are able to draw the caricatures. I think the difference this time is I'm telling them where they need to be price wise. In the past I negotiated because I didn't know the market value. We now send out the prospectus with full pricing and agreement ready to be signed and it's not really a negotiation.

The more I've been thinking about my Results Internet Marketing business the more I feel comfortable with the pricing. The price is not just for Poochie's it's for me helping with the strategy, following up, communicating / educating with the client, and communicating with Poochie and the team. I will say it takes patience to communicate with the Indians. If I didn't know the Internet Marketing business I wouldn't have a comfort level that they know what they are doing. Their explanations make no sense, I can see why many people don't go overseas themselves.

Back to training, I went for a run tonight. After 4 hours of rest my legs were feeling good enough to run, they were near fully recovered. The strangest thing that I don't understand is that my running speed is excessively slow, yet, if I wasn't wearing a watch and you asked me what my pace was I'd tell you it was very fast. It feels like I'm running really fast and the watch is saying differently. By the time I finished, my legs were spent. I stretched and just relaxed and recovered on the couch. I put today as a good day of training, near 5 hours and it was a good mix it up day. Tomorrow, based on how I feel, I'm going to select the session, I think I already know what it is, a swim. Then move my speed work to Friday and maybe do my running speed work first this time and follow it up with my biking speed work, the opposite of last week.

I'm back on Creatine and the big thing I notice is my weight is not going down. I retain a lot of water and I'm comfortable with that. I believe the water retention is great for recovery and healing muscles, I'm feeling that intuitively. I know when I'd take high powered muscle anti-inflammatories in the past the first symptom was water retention. The thing I don't like about it is the amount of sweating I do, it's just dripping constantly in an annoying way. I may do what I did last week, take it for a few days, go off it for a few days. Mix it up. I've even been mixing it up with my vitamins and oils, go on for a day or two and then take them for a day or two. It's kind of like when I was drinking beer. Drink and get drunk one night, train the next, then eat and drink normally, then go crazy again. It definitely kept the body on guard. However, the one thing about over drinking beer is that you CANNOT get your heart rate down to 36 even after taking a few days off of drinking. You can only get to 36 living a healthier lifestyle. Trust me, I know that for certain.

Mod Bike - 3:23:22 / 110 km / 32.5 kph avg / 130 avg hr
Mod Run - 1:28:05 / 15.59 km / 5:38 avg pace / 138 avg rh
2821 Calories

3 comments:

Matty O said...

first off, HR ... dude are you sure you aren't dying? better yet, are you actually partially dead? haha.

I think that it is good to mix things up. Not only for the body and performance but for the mind. Don't fall into a pattern or monotony. For people with your head, that loses its fun factor very fast!

Hope the caricature site takes off. I keep retweeting whatever you throw out there. Good stuff, I love my toon haha.

I think you are back on track. Summer is for partying, fall and spring is for training. Keep up the good work.

Matty O said...

Oh yeah.

Bryan, Bryan, Bryan! haha.

Bryan said...

M, thanks, I see you RT all the time, I think yours is my all time favourite so far, even nicer than mine and I the artist has so much more good looks for work with in my case. hahaha.

B