Earlier in the week I was googling people names from the past, some from my childhood. One guy I've googled over the years is Andy Laschuk. He was a best friend for a period of time when I was 15-16 years old, about 6 - 12 months before I met Alice. We separated as friends on not so friendly terms.
At that time I was having issues at home and decided to run away to the U.S. He was against it and I think he gave me the ultimatum that I either stayed or he was not going to be my friend. I think. Or it was something like he didn't support me and I told him to F-off. It was about 30 years ago and I can't remember the details. What I remembered over the years was all the good times we had together.
Andy was an awesome athlete. He played AAA hockey as a defenceman and at 15 years old just quit, he had enough. He was one of the few guys that was just humble, he never got into that he's a great hockey player, I'm the best. He ended up playing house league hockey and was on my team. I was one of the worst players on the team.
We used to go to movies together and Andy got into martial arts and got good. He was the type of guy that committed to whatever he did. He had everything martial arts all over his room, posters of Bruce Lee and all the fighting sticks and crap. He also had one of those cool vans, a shaggen wagon. It was old school, shag rug on the walls and floor. We had a lot of great times and some crazy times.
I found Andy's brother online and contacted him and got Andy's email address and contacted him. This was the email trail we had.
A, it's been a long time coming…near 30 years. The other day I came across this photo attached. (Readers - It was a dress up party or halloween thing we went to)
Over the past few years I've tried to google search you to drop you a line and say hi. When I saw this photo the other day I tried it again and came across your bro's contact info and got your email from him.
So this is the official "hi". haha. I hope all is well, would love to know what your up to? I'm now living in Ontario, married with children.
B
Man, there is a picture that should have stayed buried...
Interesting that you should contact me...was thinking just the other day about years gone by and people I knew, wondering what happened to them..like yourself, Darren Smith, Darren Kozicki etc. I still have a picture of us somewhere in the house, taken in front of MacDonald's on Bruce Lee's birthday...funny what you remember...
Anyway, for me, I have perused a career with the military which has taken me in many directions and many locations. I am currently living in Belle River, Ontario just out side of Windsor, married with two kids. The rest of my family are in the Ottawa area, parents are in Ottawa and my brother in Kempville. All still alive and well although most of my extended family are now gone.
I have about 1.5 years left in the Military then I'm done, Medical release, got hurt on the job, long story...still able to play with my kids...some friends not so lucky, came home in a box...enough said
Here is a current picture of me and my son....last remembrance day.
Andrew
I have about 1.5 years left in the Military then I'm done, Medical release, got hurt on the job, long story...still able to play with my kids...some friends not so lucky, came home in a box...enough said
Here is a current picture of me and my son....last remembrance day.
Andrew
Very cool hearing about what your doing, except for your injury.
I can only say I have the utmost respect and admiration for our soldiers, I get quite emotional when reading newspapers or watching TV and seeing the stuff you guys have to deal with. Frankly I was blown away when you mentioned you were in the military, I would never have guessed it in a million years. I can't remember you being into military stuff. I think I remember your dad reading war stuff, can't be sure, I just remembered he was a reader. I figured you probably owned your own martial arts studio.
Great shot with your son, he sure is a cute kid. Funny, when I saw that picture I swore I'd seen it before on TV or in the paper.
It's funny I was in Belle River in August, I have a triathlon buddy there and on the way back from a race in Michigan stopped at his place and spent the night. He lives on Puce Road.
For me, I met my wife in grade 16.5 yrs old and have been with her, Alice, ever since. We have two kids, my daughter Alyssa is now 21 and in University and my son Reid is 15 and just started high school. I got into the printing industry and started a business in 1990 and sold it just last year June 2010. I'm so glad to be out of printing, it was like selling buggy whips after the car was invented. I'm still with the company that I sold to, for how long who knows, but for now it's decent money while I figure out what I'm going to do next.
We moved to Burlington about 7 years ago, I had a division in Toronto that was losing money and needed my attention. We love it here, would never go back. Like you, all our extended family is pretty much in Winnipeg and everyone except my wife's parents are still alive.
Other than family and work, my only other interests are triathlons. I got into them and did my first Ironman in 1987, then took a break for 16 years as I built my business and got big and fat. Then about 5 years ago decided to get back into them, lost 50 lbs, and have had some success, my speciality is the Ironman and half Ironman distances. This year I was selected to represent Canada in the 45 -49 age group at the World Long Course Championships in Nov. I'm still in disbelief that I'm going to be wearing the Canadian uniform, be in a parade and all that jazz. Who would have thought? I guess it was all that smoking and drinking I did as a kid and continue to do, cigars now. haha
Overall life is good. I'm still a 17 year old at heart, don't feel anywhere near as old as I look. My kids keep me in line when I think I look younger than I am. haha.
It too often wonder what the other guys are doing, especially Darren Smith. Have never been able to find him online yet. I did the math in my head and I think it's been pretty much 30 or 31 years since the last time we saw each other. I still remember going to movies with you, your bro and I think the guys name was Terry in the old car. Plus, I remember a lot of other fun and crazy stuff we did. Good memories.
I'm not sure if you ever pass thru Burlington way, but if you do I'd love to get together and catch up, or if you even get near here I'd meet you halfway. Who would have though we're only about 3 hours away from each other.
B
P.S. You might get a kick out of this video, it shows me in all my fatness. haha.http://youtu.be/JMvX6zRYgw8
Cool video, some really great photos in there. Was your wife around when we hung around, just trying to place her...
Anyway, glad to hear you are doing well, sounds like you have had a good life. For me I have been to hell and back, I like back better...LOL...the military has been good to me though, all the material wealth I have is because of the job. It has been great, I really can't complain.
I'm not in any kind of real shape anymore, need about 6 T-3's a day just to move around...it's not the age but the mileage...LOL. I got into body building big time in the late 80's , got really big, about the same size as Darren was but ripped, 6% body fat, was signed up to compete in the Manitoba's but got sent to the sandbox...never ever did compete, but stayed big for years...I eventually stopped lifting around 2005 when my daughter was born, just didn't have the time anymore...then I got hurt in 06, so now I can't really do to much...as for the martial arts, I did peruse that right up until about 2000, even competing in some full contact tournaments between 1989-1993...fought in a couple of UFC style fights in 94 maybe, its been a long time....I still every now and then do a little boxing/Wing Chun...hopefully in the new year (after I see my surgeon in Nov) I'll get the green light to start working out again...I do miss it.
Besides the BB and Martial arts, I got into scuba diving, really love the sport. I became an Instructor in 1987 and have maintain that rating still today. Been quite a few places diving and would like to get out more. I also taught motorcycle safety for the Canadian Safety council...I think i should have been a teacher.. :)
I can only say I have the utmost respect and admiration for our soldiers, I get quite emotional when reading newspapers or watching TV and seeing the stuff you guys have to deal with. Frankly I was blown away when you mentioned you were in the military, I would never have guessed it in a million years. I can't remember you being into military stuff. I think I remember your dad reading war stuff, can't be sure, I just remembered he was a reader. I figured you probably owned your own martial arts studio.
Great shot with your son, he sure is a cute kid. Funny, when I saw that picture I swore I'd seen it before on TV or in the paper.
It's funny I was in Belle River in August, I have a triathlon buddy there and on the way back from a race in Michigan stopped at his place and spent the night. He lives on Puce Road.
For me, I met my wife in grade 16.5 yrs old and have been with her, Alice, ever since. We have two kids, my daughter Alyssa is now 21 and in University and my son Reid is 15 and just started high school. I got into the printing industry and started a business in 1990 and sold it just last year June 2010. I'm so glad to be out of printing, it was like selling buggy whips after the car was invented. I'm still with the company that I sold to, for how long who knows, but for now it's decent money while I figure out what I'm going to do next.
We moved to Burlington about 7 years ago, I had a division in Toronto that was losing money and needed my attention. We love it here, would never go back. Like you, all our extended family is pretty much in Winnipeg and everyone except my wife's parents are still alive.
Other than family and work, my only other interests are triathlons. I got into them and did my first Ironman in 1987, then took a break for 16 years as I built my business and got big and fat. Then about 5 years ago decided to get back into them, lost 50 lbs, and have had some success, my speciality is the Ironman and half Ironman distances. This year I was selected to represent Canada in the 45 -49 age group at the World Long Course Championships in Nov. I'm still in disbelief that I'm going to be wearing the Canadian uniform, be in a parade and all that jazz. Who would have thought? I guess it was all that smoking and drinking I did as a kid and continue to do, cigars now. haha
Overall life is good. I'm still a 17 year old at heart, don't feel anywhere near as old as I look. My kids keep me in line when I think I look younger than I am. haha.
It too often wonder what the other guys are doing, especially Darren Smith. Have never been able to find him online yet. I did the math in my head and I think it's been pretty much 30 or 31 years since the last time we saw each other. I still remember going to movies with you, your bro and I think the guys name was Terry in the old car. Plus, I remember a lot of other fun and crazy stuff we did. Good memories.
I'm not sure if you ever pass thru Burlington way, but if you do I'd love to get together and catch up, or if you even get near here I'd meet you halfway. Who would have though we're only about 3 hours away from each other.
B
P.S. You might get a kick out of this video, it shows me in all my fatness. haha.http://youtu.be/JMvX6zRYgw8
Cool video, some really great photos in there. Was your wife around when we hung around, just trying to place her...
Anyway, glad to hear you are doing well, sounds like you have had a good life. For me I have been to hell and back, I like back better...LOL...the military has been good to me though, all the material wealth I have is because of the job. It has been great, I really can't complain.
I'm not in any kind of real shape anymore, need about 6 T-3's a day just to move around...it's not the age but the mileage...LOL. I got into body building big time in the late 80's , got really big, about the same size as Darren was but ripped, 6% body fat, was signed up to compete in the Manitoba's but got sent to the sandbox...never ever did compete, but stayed big for years...I eventually stopped lifting around 2005 when my daughter was born, just didn't have the time anymore...then I got hurt in 06, so now I can't really do to much...as for the martial arts, I did peruse that right up until about 2000, even competing in some full contact tournaments between 1989-1993...fought in a couple of UFC style fights in 94 maybe, its been a long time....I still every now and then do a little boxing/Wing Chun...hopefully in the new year (after I see my surgeon in Nov) I'll get the green light to start working out again...I do miss it.
Besides the BB and Martial arts, I got into scuba diving, really love the sport. I became an Instructor in 1987 and have maintain that rating still today. Been quite a few places diving and would like to get out more. I also taught motorcycle safety for the Canadian Safety council...I think i should have been a teacher.. :)
I met my wife Colleen in 1992 while at my first posting in Portage La Prairie. I was actually separated from my first wife at the time. First wife 8 years, second...still going. I have two young kids, my daughter Aria (pronounced Ah-rye-ah) is 5 going on 6 (Nov), and my son Ryken is 3 going on 4 (Dec). My wife is related to the Zeilinski's. Darryl is her cousin...small world
I guess after we stopped hanging around, life just went on. I still hung around with the 2 Darren's right up till the late 80's, Then joined the military and eventually lost contact with them, although I was one of the grooms men at Kozicki's wedding as my first wife and I introduced them, that was early 90's though. I ran into Darren Smith probably late 90's in Winnipeg at the Zoo and he was married with one child...at that time he was taking computer animation courses and was talking about moving out west (BC) where his brother Todd was. I have never heard from him or seen him again. With a last name like Smith, pretty hard to track down...would need a birth date...
I have learned that life is like that, you make friends, then as time goes by you drift apart...sad really. Military life is even harder, most people will never really know or understand what its like to move every 3-4 years...it funny that you couldn't see me as military, No one from my past believes it, I guess with everything i did or was doing it was a natural fit. Once your in (past basic training) it really is just a job...a really interesting one though..
The picture I sent was actually in the Windsor Star news paper, some lady kept hounding me at the service (wanting me to speak and such) I eventually gave into a picture and was shocked to see it on the cover of the paper. and the guy with the old car was Kelly Stafecis (sp?) who eventually joined the Coast Guard. My brother went on to University and got hired on by Nortel in the late 80's. He now works for Sienna which bought out Nortel last year I think. Terry was top 100 upper manager so never got laid off and has done really well for himself. He is married with one daughter in her early 20's.
For me, like I said I have a little bit of time left in the military then who knows. We really like it here in Windsor (only been here a year) and hope to stay. I have one paid move left if I want it, it will all depend on the job market though. My disability pension is only going to be enough to cover the mortgage... I will still have to work, at least for a little while, besides I think I would go crazy sitting around the house, maybe I can take up running, biking or swimming...LOL
Here is a couple of recent photos of the family...Kids this summer, me and my friend Dean, Scuba, the wife a son from about 2 years ago...
I have an Uncle, Aunt and cousins in Brampton and will be up there for Thanksgiving...maybe we can grab a coffee...
Andrew
Very interesting stuff, its funny how we sized up our lives in the past 30 years in not too many paragraphs, haha.
For sure, I'd love to get together when you come in November. Let me know when and where, we can meet somewhere or you guys are more than welcome to stop at my place if you want to make a sight detour.
Really looking forward to it.
B
P.S. BTW, you look pretty darn good in those pics, the one on the bench you look near the same as when we hung out. I easy could have recognized you from that photo.
It funny how time heals all wounds and childhood friendship is the real stuff, stands the test of time.
On the training front I had a good day of training. One of the strongest bike rides I can remember in a long time, I averaged 30.6 kph. It was 4:45 and I must say my legs were thrashed, they've felt better after a 7 hour bike ride. I also ate and drank very little on the bike intentionally, 2 bananas, a protein bar, 2 electrolyte drinks and one water.
When I got home I was spent. I had thought about doing a brick run on the bike, now I wasn't so sure. I was going to pass, I really didn't want to do it. I did it anyway. I figured that an extra thrashing of my legs could only help, I want no regrets and I knew I'd think I was a pussy for not doing it. I didn't want to pass up the opportunity. The upside was I had a tight calf that loosened on the run, the bad thing was my pace was slow. I didn't care, I did it.
I did jam on doing a swim. I didn't have it in me. I just wanted to relax on the couch, which I did. I did treat myself with a slurpee and sunflower seeds. I didn't realize how many calories are in sunflower seeds until I ate them all, close to 2000 calories in a bag. Wow!!! I got them because I figured they didn't have sugar and my blood sugar wouldn't spike.
I've also decided to go back to Creatine. I got off it this week and noticed that my strength shot way down, especially on the weights. I also noticed that I lost a lot of water weight. I really liked the feeling of power and that's why I went back on it. I think the reason today's ride was strong was from the speed work on Thursday and the Creatine. Thursday also thrashed my legs. It was great getting back to speed work, it makes you feel like and athlete and put you in the hurt locker. I'd rather be there in training than racing.
Tonight we watched UFC pay per view. I had a bet going with a twitter buddy. I owed him beers from the last bet, today was double or nothing. I won both fights we bet on. It was a good day all around.
Long Bike - 4:43:58 / 145 km (90 miles) / 30.64 km / 130 avg hr
Brick Run - 31:24 / 5.5 km / 5:39 pace / 143 avg hr
3293 Calories
3293 Calories

No comments:
Post a Comment