Sunday, September 18, 2011

Never up high...

This morning I woke up with a very sore upper body, specifically my shoulders and arms. I blasted them yesterday. I can't remember the last time I've had this sensation, I don't even think I've had these sorts of feelings in my arms and shoulder since I've gotten back into triathlons.

It doesn't feel sore, it feels stiffly, pump-ly, sore. Like the muscles are growing. I thought it might shake out during the day and was even thinking of going for a swim. My plan was to go on a long run and then see how they felt.

The run was much better than the past weeks, the pace was significantly faster. I was surprised. I took my normal number one side road route and instead of doing and out and back I ran well into Burlington and made a big loop. I went down Brant and it was beautiful, in the distance I could see Lake Ontario. Around halfway through the run my nipples were killing me. I wore a different shirt than normal, still a technical shirt, and between he fabric and the sweat it was rubbing me raw. I tried to adjust my heart rate strap to cover my nipples, didn't work, it kept slipping. I had no choice, take the shirt off and run bare back.

It wasn't cold and it wasn't warm out, at least it was sunny. I really didn't want to run without a shirt on. I had no choice. It was either that or get bloody. I wouldn't mind running without a shirt on if I didn't have a little jiggly on my paunchy. In the end, I tried not to focus on it. I know when I ran past people walking in the opposite direction they didn't want to make any eye contact. Some had heavier sweaters on and here I was running without a shirt on. The worst was when I started running down our street I didn't want any of my neighbours to see me. Other than one of Reid's friends, I was able to get home and in the door without any neighbourhood watch.

I did my stretching and my legs were thrashed. I ran one minute less than last week and covered almost 2 km's more. Slowly my legs started to seize up a little and walking became a shuffle and my back tightened up. All a good sign. Another good sign was my heel managed to make it through the run without causing me pain, it was noticeable, but no pain. My right calf was also noticeable, but no pain. All steps in the right direction.

Rather than sit and do nothing, Alice and I went for a car ride. We drove aimlessly, picked up some junk food from Picaards Peanuts in Waterdown, a really cool place. We then headed over to Milton and were shocked by the amount of growth and new homes. A perfect City for a business. Milton is the fastest growing City in Canada and about a 35 minute drive from my house. I stopped at shoppers and had some more candy, I was craving sweets. I also picked up a Canadian Franchising magazine. It's actually a wonderful feeling, I feel like I've got my entreupental spirit back. For years I lost it, it was beaten out of me. I'm starting to feel like I did in my 20's, except more patient and wiser.

Driving was not easy, my arms were sore, especially turning the steering wheel around corners. I'm glad I had that sensation, I realized there was no way it would have been beneficial to go swimming today. The greatest benefit I realized today was giving my upper body a rest. I do notice though that the muscles are bouncing back nicely. On the weight front, things are well, I weighed in at 188.2 lbs and after my run and hydration I even hit 185 lbs on the scale.

The rest of the night was hang out with the family, watch TV, make a pit stop to Baskin Robbins for a sub 31 and watch more TV. Oh, and also getting sick, sniffling all night. Looks like the family is getting the cold Alyssa got from her friend Stephanie when she was here.

Tomorrow I have to get up somewhat early, to pick up my brother at the airport at 8:40 am, he's coming in to look at the children's hair cutting franchise. I'm going to join him over the next couple of days.

Long Run - 2:01:03 / 23.08 km / 5:13 per km pace / 139 avg hr
3937 calories

2 comments:

Matty O said...

not bad man. Even with the crap food you kept your calories reasonable.

Glad the legs are coming around for you. I was very happy with my first post IM run. much faster base pace than I would have dreamed (based on HR).

Bryan said...

m, thanks