It was nice to get home and sleep in my own bed. I woke up early and my legs were feeling good. I could have blown off a run and justified it by saying I had a heavy training day yesterday, I didn't. After watching some 9 /11 stuff on TV I was out the door for my long run. This would be my first long run since Steelhead due to my calf problems. The plan was to do a minimum of two hours and I really wanted to do about 2:20.
The run was slower than normal, I wasn't stiff, just slow. My heart rate was awesomely low. It was tough to get it up over 130 bpm even on the steepest hills on Number one side road. For the most part it was in the 120's for most of the run, even at the end. This is an awesome sign it means my body is getting very efficient.
Around the 1:45 mark I wasn't feeling it and my left ankle / Achilles was bothering me and the side of my right calf. I phoned a friend, Alice wasn't there and Alyssa was asleep. I talked to Reid and told him to have Alice call me when she got home or Alyssa when she woke up. About 10 minutes later the phone rang and it was Alyssa, I had here pick me up. I still managed to get in a good two hour run and my legs were definitely feeling the run, all a good sign.
The rest of the day was relax and have an early dinner, I had to leave the house at 5:30 pm to catch a flight to Chicago, returning tomorrow. I'm on a panel to discuss photo books at the largest printing trade show in North America. The primary reason I'm going is because HP Snapfish is on the panel and it gives me a chance to meet the business development contact from HP and try to get more business from them. They haven't marketed in Canada and their sales numbers are among the lowest of all my customers and they should be the highest.
I flew Porter Airlines, first time. I heard good things about them and it didn't disappoint. The flight attendants are dressed retro and everything is free. Even in the waiting lounge you get free beverages and Internet. The only downside for me is the airport they fly out of is in downtown Toronto and I have to leave earlier than normal and ferry across to the Island that the airport is on. Everything else though is very pleasant. They even give drinks on the plane in real glass glasses.
As I was in the lounge, my phone rang, it was Carlos. He wanted to tell me he qualified for next years 70.3 World Championships in Vegas. I was so happy for him. I told him if I wasn't in an airport lounge I'd be yelling and screaming. He had a great race and finished in 5:05 on an extremely tough course and a 94 km bike ride, it was also windy. He finished 9th in his age group and got it on the rolldown. I was so pumped for him.
I got to Chicago and all was uneventful. However I did luck out when I got to the Hilton and when I got to my room I found out it was a big time executive suite, complete with a bar. I knew it was going to be good when I walked down the hall and saw these double doors at the end with my room number.
So much for my potential fast I wanted to do, I even fell off my eating healthy. Looks like I owe Reid a $100. I had some M & M's, a snickers bar and some peanuts as I watched 9/11 shows and one about Saddam Hussen. I didn't realize HOW bad Saddam was until I saw this show and the video's of what he did to his people. The guy was a psychopath.
Lastly I wanted to post an email I got from John Proc. That's what my private blog is for, so I can remember highlights as I get older as I know my memory will fail me.
Hey, glad you got your gearing sorted out!
Honestly I just wanted to follow up to something that blew my mind the other day at the House Of Payne Beer Run.
Poochie.
You talked about Poochie the dog, and how you guys ran together. You trained together and one day your would go to the Olympics. Together.
You got emotional in that moment. You shed a small tear in front of us and someone joked that 'wow, he is crying over a dead dog from 20 years ago'.
I know you miss your dog but I dont think it was the dog that triggered the tear jerker.....
It was openly talking about - the Olympics.
I get it.
I've wanted to tell you that for awhile now - I. Get. It.
I grew up with this same feeling. I don't have to describe it - you know what I'm talking about. Olympic dreams are often quickly dismissed by those around us - IMpossible they say. It can be tough talking about Olympic aspirations, people just don't understand. Admittedly just thinking about the Olympic games, life long dreams, glory, racing for something bigger than ourselves - it's overwhelming for me. I have to hold back the emotion just watching the damn Olympic commercials.
Representing Canada at the World Championships is YOUR Olympics.
I get it.
I know how this feels.
Now perhaps it was just a tear shed in a drunken stupor over your dog and none of this rings true.... but I just had to pass this along cuz I want to clear my mind before this weekend's race.....
I believe in you.
Just give it your best and your country will be proud of you. No matter what.
Now Show us how Great you are.
J, thanks for the kinds words. I forgot I mentioned that story until you reminded me. Drinking lots of beer tends to be a great memory eraser. haha.
I will say upon reflection of your email and remembering the feelings I had that night, you are definitely 100% right. You got it. I do view this as my Olympics and an unfilled dream.
I'm glad you sent me this email, it's even motivating me more to work as hard as I can and show up "the best" I can be. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd have a chance to represent my Country in something so prestigious, the equivalent of the old guys Olympics. I thought those years were long gone.
Who would have guessed that this crazy sport would take me back to my youth and help me realize a dream that I never thought was even within the realm of possibility.
I WILL definitely give it the best I have. I know to do that the hard work is all in the preparation and discipline of training and diet before hand. Your email helped. Today's training I was thinking about it as I pushed myself out the door to do my long run after such a long hard bike yesterday, and also to say away from the unhealthy food.
John thanks again for the words and support, they touched me deeply.
B
Long Run - 2:02:28 / 21.51 km / 5:41 per km pace / 130 avg hr
3 comments:
wow, good stuff. I get it too. Its a childhood dream man. When you grow up something kind of happens and maybe that dream just gets pushed aside because you are no longer in your 20's and in your prime to perform at the olympic games.
But seriously, I told you from day one, its bigger than Kona was for you last year.
Keep your head straight, get the workouts in when you can and keep your body healthy.
Love it!!
M, thanks.
JP, thanks
B
Post a Comment