Saturday, October 8, 2011

Alyssa's Birthday Dinner...







I felt tired waking up. It was the junk food from last night. I've noticed that if I eat poorly, especially before bed I wake up tired. I assume the body is spending it's time digesting and not resting. Yet my heart rate hit an all time low, I believe it got to 34 bpm, I was only able to catch it on the camera at 35 bpm.

It was a Beautiful day today, sunny and unusually warm. Reid came in the house and had to change, it was too hot for him. Today was supposed to be a long ride for me and the weather couldn't be better. With the back of the knee sore, I'm sure it's a serious strain, I couldn't go.

Today is Kona and it was televised on Universal Sports in it's entirety. It was amazing coverage, it was like, and I think better, than watching the Tour de France. It was the first time I've ever watched a triathlon in a race format in real time. It was fantastic, not to mention the race turned out to be epic. I think the best Ironman of all time, even better than the Ironwar between Mark Allen and Dave Scott.

At one point, partly from being motivated by watching the Ironman and mostly because it was so gorgeous outside, I decided to go for a ride and risk it and I tried out my new Team Canada tri-shorts. My plan was to go slow. Originally I thought that I'd love to get a 4 hour ride in. I made my move and went for it. I rode easy, my heart rate averaged only 110 bpm for the entire ride. I was gentle. Even at such a low heart rate I was surprised at the overall speed being over 29 kph for what I would deem and easy spin.

Even though I wanted to go long, I decided to cut it short and only do a couple hours, I figured it would be best to be responsible. When I got home the knee was not any worse than when I left. Great sign. I tried to job a little in the house, no avail, a couple steps and it was hurting. It was better than yesterday, still bad.

I kept watching Ironman until dinner. We went to Marciano's Italian restaurant in Waterdown, it was Alyssa's choice. They have great food there. I tried to eat healthy, I was so motivated to do so this morning and I over did it a little on the bread. Awesome food choice.

When I got home the race was now on the run, it was so exciting. Craig Alexander being chased down initially then only a mile or two from setting a world record and having to stop for cramping. Then Chrissie coming from behind to take the lead and being chased down by a strong looking Mirinda Cafrae. In the end it was Alexander and Chrissie. Both semi-collapsed at the end. It was so damn exciting.

The rest of the night was f-ing around on twitter. A complete waste of time. Oh, and Alyssa opened her presents and we had Dairy Queen ice cream cake, all my will power went out the window, I must have had about 5 or 6 pieces throughout the night. I have such strong will power at the beginning of the day and during training and then night comes and I fall apart. Surprisingly my body is in great looking shape, I should be 500 lbs and I'm getting lean and mean. Later tonight Reid broke out the Red Twizzlers. Another no willpower moment.

I've come to the official conclusion that I'm going to stop blogging my daily blogging and try to reduce my twittering at the end of this racing season. This year I mean it, haha, maybe I'll just update weekly. It feels like the right thing to do. After seeing the hours I've spent over the last near 5 years doing it, I think it would be time better well spent working on business and my career. I have my mojo back in that department. Something inside of me is saying it's time to move on with another focus, still maintaining my shape and doing Ironmans, just focusing more on other priorities. If I could do for my financial situation what I did for my fitness and triathlon accomplishments in the next 5-years I could be set for life.

Easy Bike - 2:12:59 / 65.03 km / 29.3 kph avg / 110 bpm avg
3959 Calories

5 comments:

DRog said...

odd it was already 1yr ago I was watching the live IM feed, another epic race and continued watching for the Captain to cross the line props and all! haha

you are probably on the right track re: blogging and twitter

I dont even use twitter (thanks for the reminder here today of what a time sinkhole it is) over the past two months I have shut down my blogging time a ton. I have hardly been reading blogs let alone posting on my own blog.

I have had the BEST two sales months in 2yrs...and with the leads I have "in the hopper" that are ready to pop, I have potential to absolutely hammer the final 3 months of this year, for a possible career year (and worst case if some sales spill over to 2012 I start out with a bang) Lesson learned for me. I have considered shutting down my blog altogether but its hard, as your blog and a few others have meant so much to me and helped me improve my racing a ton. So for now Ill just check in when possible and see what happens...

Bryan said...

D, haha. Thanks for the advice on blogger and twitter. I think your right. Also, BIG CONGRATS on your sales performance, sounds like things are going great. You're definitely motivating me regarding work.

Keep up the good work. Thanks again for the advice.

B

JohnP said...

Admitedly I only read blogs while in the office so just IMAGINE how much more productive *I* could be if YOU stopped blogging lol!

I have taken alot of time off the blog in this off season stretch. I'm trying to get back into it. I will continue to blog, if not daily then at the very least weekly. It helps me sort out my thoughts when I organize them and put them down 'on paper'. It also gives me a creative output that I otherwise would not have.

I am NOT an artsy fartsy type. I don't do art. I dont do music. I know nothing about books or literature or ummm 'gay' things. But I have learned to explore my umm 'gay' side through my writings. I think this writing stuff helps make me a more well-rounded person. I've never had so much interest for writing in my life. Its kinda fun in a homo-erotic kinda way. haha!

I used to beat up the kids that read books or wrote articles.

Quick - someone punch me in the face! haha!

Matty O said...

Yeah, weekly blogging is what I think I am going to do. I have one more journey I would like to capture my emotions, feelings and training for.

After that, I may exit blogging all together.

Oh, hey. In case you didn't know you are going to be drinking beer tomorrow and whack your head on the toilet... just warning you not to drink the beer... or if you do, just pee your pants in bed, skip the toilet.

Bryan said...

J, no kidding, you'd actually get a raise if you didn't read my blog. haha. And don't sell yourself short, you are a closest artsy fag. haha.

M, I'm with you bro. hahahaha, about the last part of your comment, you are psychic. haha.