Sunday, October 9, 2011

Paying the price...


I went to the pool today and did my hardest pushing 600 yards ever, I was breathing heavy and my arms were sore. My time wasn't as fast as I've done in the past but it did average 1:43 per 100 meters. That's respectable. I couldn't keep the pace up for more than that one, I wasn't prepared to go into the hurt locker. In fact I wanted to do 3000 meters and cut the swim short, I just wasn't feeling it, I'm mentally a little burnt.

The weather today hit 27C and I so wished I could ride or run this weekend. I looked at the weather and saw that tomorrow it should be just as nice so I'm going to try and do a ride tomorrow and give my leg one more day to heal. It is getting a little better, it is definitely a major strain, I'm now thinking it's a two week recovery. If I can maintain my swimming and biking I should still be okay on the run, I can gut out 30 km if I had to. The problem is that if I run on it too soon it's going to set it back. I almost set it back today flexing my leg and contracting my calf muscles. It's a little scary. 

Today was Canadian Thanksgiving, Alice had a Turkey in the Oven and the house smelt great. When I got home from the pool I was hanging around and the romance of beer on Thanksgiving was calling my name. I fought it for an hour and then had a beer. It didn't taste that good, it was okay, it was Coors light. I've been thinking that when I get back drinking beer I'm going to get non-light beer, something with flavour. I'm not realized Coors light it not flavourful. I drank it because it was okay beer and lower calories. 

Even though I didn't feel like drinking after that first one I kept going. Nothing crazy, however at one point Alice and I were watching TV and the kids were out and I saw myself on the couch with a bottle of beer in my hand drinking it and feeling like some hill billy derelict. I didn't feel classy. I felt weak. I thought one only night wouldn't hurt and could only help as I was feeling burnt out. Wrong, I didn't like it. 

The worst was yet to come and I mean worst. I fell asleep on the couch and Alice went to bed. I woke up around 1 or 2 am and went up to bed. I had lots off beer at least 12. I wasn't overly drunk but I did feel weak, standing up from lying down was hard and I got a little dizzy. I made my way up the stars and went to the washroom to take a pee. 

I was standing over the toilet and my started to get faint, the standing and drinking was kicking in and I was getting light headed. I put my hand on the back of the wall to support me and that's all I remember until being in the bedroom and Alice and Reid asking if I was okay? I had no idea what was going on, they asked me what we had for dinner I couldn't tell them. Slowly they started telling me and over the next 10 minutes I started to remember we had Thanksgiving dinner. 

My top of my head was sore to the touch, it felt like it hit something. It had a bit of a goose egg and Alice got some frozen pees. What hurt the most was my jaw, I could hardly even open it without pain. The left side of it felt like bad lock jaw. Next thing I remember was starting to feel sick and running into the bathroom downstairs and throwing up. I'm not sure if it was the beer or the head. 

I asked Alice and Reid what happened and they said both of them were woken out of a sleep by a large "bang" or "thud" coming out of the bathroom. Reid thought a wall in the house came down. Alice found me lying on the floor with my eyes wide open and not responding. Reid said I was asleep with my eyes wide open and lying in the bathroom doorway. They were able to get me up and snap me out of it. 

It took a while and I started to realize where I was, then I threw up downstairs. Alice was giving me water, a bit of a nature bar, orange juice and Advil. She said I was sweating like crazy. My stomach was feeling so upset. After that first throw up all I could taste was pumpkin pie that tasted soapy and I was getting sick again. I threw up a second time. I'm not sure if it was from the head injury or the soapy tasting pie in my stomach. 

Reid was quite concerned he was googling concussion and said I have all the symptoms and it says I need to get to the hospital. The bang on the head, loss of memory, dizziness and vomiting are textbook signs. I didn't want to go, I've been to Ontario hospitals before and there is s lot of wait times and I didn't think I was too bad. After throwing up the second time I tried to lie down and it was hard, I was dizzy and the room was spinning a bit. Reid was really pushing for me to go to the hospital. I wasn't so sure and somehow managed to just go back to bed. I'd open my eyes and the room would spin and I'd be very disoriented. 

As I slept my head started to clear up and I realized when, where and why it happened. I just remember that moment of fighting the urge to fall down the wall. Then I remember Alice and Reid. Alice couldn't find my glasses and I did, they were in the far corner of the bathroom. It appears I must have fallen so hard that they flew off my head and along the floor resting in the corner. I figure on the fall I somehow it my jaw and the top crown of my head. 

I woke up during the night and the morning and every time the world was spinning. Even at 9:30 am the following morning. I'm not sure if it's the hit to the head or the beer. 

I can say one thing, I regret drinking the beer. I shouldn't have and now I'm paying the price. When I woke up this morning I was concerned about riding my bike and whether I'll be dizzy at any moment and get into an accident or worse. All this started from drinking beer and I'm pissed off at myself.

Swim - 47:37 / 2290 meters
2998 Calories

6 comments:

Doru said...

Wow, B. that sounds awful! I told Miha about you and she’s very worried, especially because you threw up. She worked as nurse in Romania for a little while and she recommends you to drink lots and lots of liquids. Also, she said that you really need to go and see a doctor, if you still feel dizzy.
I hope that by the end of the day the dizziness is completely gone and you are recovered.

Simon said...

Dude Reid is right you have all the symptoms of concusion. Blows to the head are not to be messed with. Get to the hospital pronto. You could have internal bleeding for goodness sake.

I reckon the passing out was likely to be a combination of the heavy meal, tiredness and alcohol, probably causing low blood pressure. But I'm no doctor so get to the hospital.

R u getting the message?

Ironic that you've got a calf injury, I tore mine in half six weeks before the ITU Worlds, I could swim and bike but not run and my attitude was to get it fixed enough to drag myself around 30k which is what I did. Sadly itnspoilt it a bit though but better to be there than not. Sounds like you're being smart about the repair process but keep focused on that. No more damage is the key. Good luck.

PS GET TO THE HOSPITAL YOU NUMPTY.

Bryan said...

D, now I'm worried. haha.

D, good advice, I plan on going tomorrow if things don't improve today. I'm starting to feel I'm running out of time if I can't get back to full training by this week.

B

Simon said...

GET TO HOSPITAL YOU DUMBO NUMPTY NINCOMPOOP! They may tell you what you already know but they may also prevent you from waking up dead!

What was it you didn't understand about "internal bleeding"?

This is not the time for denial! FFS!!!!!

Matty O said...

I have had that issue. Get whacked on the head, get nausea and start throwing up. I never go to the hospital... and look how I turned out ;) HAHA!

Seriously though, take it easy for a couple days then get your shit together and get back on the band wagon. Take pictures of your food and stop spiraling out of control again.

It's amazing how one little thing you do is like opening the flood gates for complete utter failure. Hope you have an upswing soon... or Canada won't be happy with their representative Mr. Payne, come race day!

Bryan said...

S, done, going to the doctor. Googled FFS and learnt what it means, learn something new every day. haha.

M, tell me about it, a little booze or something and it's drama. I want to be out of the drama zone. I'm getting too old for it.

B