Sometimes how you feel or perform on a given day makes no rhyme or reason. Yesterday I had a long ride, it was nice, not one of my fastest, my legs were tired afterwards. Today was my long run, which I put off until 4:30 pm.
Next thing I know is I knock my long run out of the park. It may have been my fastest and most effortless runs since IMLP. My heart rate was low, I ran the hills on number one side road and I bang out 25 km at an average 5:06 per km pace. At 1:46 I had completed a half marathon. It was a completely unexpected run, out of now where. I got to the half way point of the run, albeit up all the hills at 5:17 per km pace and then peeled it all off. For the most part, the first 23 km's I was averaging 5:05's, just at the end I slowed down a bit.
It doesn't matter how good of shape your in, after a 25 km run your body gets a little tight from sitting around and doing nothing. I spent most of my evening on the couch watching TV and working / playing on the computer. When I'd get up for a drink or something to snack on I'd slowly pull myself up and shuffle sorely to where ever. Once I started walking for a while the lotion would kick in. Surprisingly on my run I felt great, no real soreness. It gave me hope that I could pull off a respectable run, my body has it in it.
I woke up this morning, weighed in at 188.0 lbs. I'm happy with that, I can tell the weight is now starting to come off since I started eating like a regular person. If all goes well, I hope to race around 185 - 183 which is the weight I've done most all my races at.
The first thing I did and spent hours doing it was to try and figure out my old training payne blog. There is a problem with blogger and it wasn't allowing it to appear. It's a long drawn out story to explain all the things I've tried, trust me, I know blogger and all that stuff like the back of my hand now. None of it works, there must be an issue at blogger with a glitch on the dns. Instead, I decided to try and import the blog back over to word press. I did it in the past and it didn't keep the paragraph breaks. Now it did. Yes!
I then spent the next number of hours re-laying out the blog and trying to make it look near as good as my other blog. The reason I've put it back up is because Howard was disappointed when I took it down and he thought it was inspirational and still has some value to people. I've kind of felt a little bad taking it down completely because I know some people like to check back on situations and review it. Hence, it's now back up.
Doing things like the blog tell me a lot about myself. First I'm obsessive. I don't want to get off the computer until the problem is solved. Second, I'm a perfectionist. I can't just put it up and leave it alone, I keep tweaking. In this case, the tweaking ads no real value and no money to my pocket. It's just me. Going for my run and taking a break was helpful. I was able to self talk and tell myself not to waste too much more time on the blog, no value. I need to spend more time on the stuff that makes me money. I could have reviewed all the articles I got for the blog from Poochie and edited them for English prose.
I still haven't heard from Wayne. I can wind myself up on this, I'm trying to put it out of my mind and chill. Even though my next check is due Nov 1st, I'm not going to bug him for it until I get back on Nov 6th and I don't have it. I don't want to be a thorn in his side. Yet at the same time I want my money and to know my future. Wayne is one different guy, I personally don't know how a guy could not get back to people for so long or respond to emails. There is something in his nature that makes him overly patient and perhaps cautious. I often wonder if he makes his decisions on feel and doesn't want to be rushed, my dad was like that. He would often go a little squirrelly if he had to make a quick decision.
I finally got the blog up and can now leave it alone, it's at www.trainingpayne.com and then tonight Alyssa asked me about her blog, for Christmas I got her and Reid their own domains, here's is www.alyssapayne.org and his is www.reidpayne.com .
Food wise I've been eating normal, not crazy pigging out and not totally healthy. It's been a balance. This morning I had bacon, eggs, toast and coffee. Awesome breakfast guilt free. Since the low salt thing I've been totally guilt free eating any thing with salt, like bacon. It was good, maybe that helped my run???
Good day all around. Oh, one last thing, I'm obsessed with Steve Jobs. His biographer was on 60 minutes telling stories. One of the most that surprised me was that he lived in a normal house in Palo Alto on a normal street with side walks, no sweeping driveways, no gates and that you could walk up to the house and walk the side walk and undo the back fence and be in his back yard. He mentioned that he saw all there people at Apple who became millionaires change overnight from nice simple people to buying stuff to live wealthy and change and he vowed he didn't want to do that. I find that remarkable for a multi-billionaire to say that, very Warren Buffet. His comments came at a good time because I was thinking if things go real well in the next five years would I move and I didn't think I would and almost felt guilty thinking I wouldn't. I like the area, it's so convenient. Now I'm just going to do what Steve would do, stay put, maybe downsize. That's the plan once Reid and Alyssa are gone, find something like a smaller bungalow in the Millcroft area.
The only thing I'm not going to do what Steve would do is get surgery. Apparently they found his cancer early and wanted to operate with a 95% chance of getting rid of it. Instead he thought he treat it himself with diet. Looks like that didn't work out to well for him.
On the other side I want to say that in a strange way the death of Steve Jobs has impacted me. Especially his Stanford Graduation speech. In there he talks about pursuing your passions, loving what you do. Live is fleeting and along those spirit lines. As I've been looking to the next phase of my life I've been thinking about those words often. It's amazing that one man can have such a huge impact in our life time. We are the generation that will be telling others that we were around when Steve Jobs lived.
Great day all around.
Long Run - 2:07:57 / 25.02 km / 5:06 avg per km
2956 Calories

No comments:
Post a Comment