When I woke up I jumped into my Triathlon Toons and AG work. I wanted to get my brain running. It wasn't easy I was very unmotivated and melancholy. I was able to get a lot done. I also booked two appointments for today, one for my calf with a physiotherapist at 11:20 am and one with my doctor at 3 pm to look at my concussion.
Both meetings went well. The physiotherapist found my stress, it was a very ropey calf strain that was deep in my upper calf. She thought it was the area where the muscle attaches to the ligament or bone. She said the good news was I didn't tear anything. It had already been feeling better with the rest I was giving it and I went to the physiotherapist for some final accelerated healing with the ultra sound or acupuncture. I got ultrasound and massage today. When she started it was so deep, by the time she was done it was up near the surface and tender. She's thinking I may be able to go for a 3 - 5 mile light, light jog later this week.
I went back home and did some work. Then I got over to Dr. Hack's office. He's a young but excellent doctor. He had a young medical student working with him and she did my initial assessment. When she came in just by herself I asked "Where's Hack?" concerned. She said he'll be coming to see me. Whew.
The girl did a series of tests, like follow my finger and and feeling my jaw and collar bone and other stuff I can't even remember. She then returned with Hack and he didn't feel that I was in any major danger to train so long as I don't mind training with dizziness. I got the impression that he felt it was a mild concussion and because I don't have muscle issues, perhaps one arm much weaker than the other, that I'm okay, it could be worse.
They also asked if I was having trouble breathing, which I wasn't. However, I did feel like an air pocket in my left shoulder blade area.
While I was there Hack asked me if I've been bulking up. I said no, I did say that since Sunday I've probably put on 10 lbs. I can feel it and see it in the mirror. Last Saturday at the pool, I had no gut and no love handles, now I have a big gut and love handles and my face is rounded. I asked him if the concussion could cause this, he didn't seem to think so. I also said maybe it was the beer, after wards I thought maybe it was the hammer tissue rejuvenator.
Either way I'm definitely up big time in weight, my shirts are tighter. One Ironman pullover which is my loosest was feeling tight. I don't want to dwell on the past, Alice tells me I do it to much time, but that drinking of beer on Saturday was a big mistake. It's hurt me physically and mentally.
Mentally I'm down, Alice has noticed it and commented on it. It appears to me that my brain chemistry has been affected. It was something I didn't foresee. I'd been training consistently and my medication was consistent, when I have beer it throws it off. Normally it's not an issue because I train the next day and it gets rid of those down feelings. Right now I haven't been able to train. That, combined with a head injury is really recking havoc with my mind.
If this moment in time doesn't get me to stop drinking I don't know what will. I really don't like the place I'm in right now. For the past 6 weeks I've been feeling great.
Today I picked my new Virtual Assistant from India. I interviewed two on the phone. I have been having some problems with my website after letting the one guy go. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or him. They assure me it's a coincidence. I picked my guy named Sashant, or Abbey two. His English was excellent and he seemed very respectful and his manager also recommended him out of the two.
I spent a lot of time with Poochie's team leaders as well, getting more detail of the plan and learning some new things as I go along. The main problem is even though these guys know English well they don't all ways communicate well. Something that after learnt I could explain in 2 minutes takes them10 minutes of me constantly asking questions or saying I don't understand.
Tonight I was feeling crappy and fought internally if I should go to the pool. I wanted to and didn't. I had no excuse now, doctor said I was okay and physio said my calf is near healing this week. The biggest problem was I was depressed and down. Eventually I went. It wasn't easy.
When I got there I figured I'd go as long as I could. When I undressed I got discussed looking in the mirror. I was much fatter than my last swim. I don't know how I did it but I easily gained 10 lbs. The mirror doesn't lie. I got in the pool and was swimming slow. I had no power or strength. I felt like a whale pulling himself through the water. It also felt similar to swimming hungover, my head was a little cloudy and dizzy. I ended up bailing at 30 minutes. It helped a little get my mind clearer, not much.
Since getting home from the doctors office, for a couple hours I slept upstairs on my bed. I'm still dizzy, the headaches are about 50% of what they were yesterday and the jaw was about 70% better. I could now move my jaw without pain. All I've been doing is sleeping.
Today I did have a major win. I ate the best I've ever eaten, less calories than I can ever remember eating in a long time. I only have about 3 weeks to Vegas and the only thing I can control with will power is my eating. Now I just need to string that together for 3 weeks.
Tonight was a better sleep. Spinning, but a little shorter. I did take an Advil before bed for my headache. For two days now I've had a headache. Today was 50% better than yesterday. I also had a short bath before bed, not to long, I didn't want to dehydrate myself too much.
I've got to say, I feel I've set myself back 3 - 4 weeks in training. I can't remember feeling this terrible in a long time, it's been so long I can't remember it. I do remember the last time I got a concussion, I was probably 5 years old and riding my bike around the neighbourhood and took a wicked corner and wiped out hitting my head. I had my eyes open and couldn't see anything and my mom took me to the hospital. The one thing Hack said is now that I have got a concussion I'll be more susceptible to getting more.
Easy Swim - 30:09 / 1286 meters
1287 Calories
5 comments:
Buddy I hear the little voice talking that'll we all have, you know the one, the little one with all the negative thoughts. He's always there with all of us, we just get good at drowning him out, especially when training is going well.
Problem is his voice ain't so little with you at the moment, you got injured, fell off the wagon then got concussion. Going for that swim was a huge win, it's the beginning of getting back on track and drowning that little voice back to where it belongs.
Dude, you've got to "BELIEVE", do what training you can, loads of swimming (tell yourself the water helps drown the pesky little fella with the nagging voice), eat well, sleep as well as you can, go to bed early at least, stay off the booze. Go for a walk. Smell the air and the flowers, feel the breeze and know that life is good. You've neither lost much fitness if any, nor have you put on 10lbs other than a bit of water retention that'll disappear in a day or two.
BELIEVE and get back on the horse. I believe in you, now you must.
Sermon over, you know the body issues are minor, the bump on the head too, it's what's inside that thick head of yours that you need to fix and then you'll be wondering why you had PMT and laughing about it.
If you're still struggling drop me an email and I'll be on the phone in no time...to call the Whhhhhhaaaaaambulance.
Now get on with it.
Baby Bryan bumped his head! Quick someone call the WHHAAAAAMMBULANCE!
Would you like some cheeze with that whine?
I love Simon's comment - BELIEVE. You need to BELIEVE, you SHOULD believe - you've got a solid training plan, years of experience and well into the home stretch. Nothing you do in the next month will make you faster - but some things WILL make you slower if you let them.
That hay is in the barn.
You're back on the wagon now, you've got the momentum - now keep it.
But seriously, no need to cry over spilt milk. What's done is done - HTFU and get it done.
May I suggest drawing from Chrissy's epic win last weekend? She raced injured and put it all on the line to just barely pull off the win over a healthy carfae.
You will be no differnt.
Believe it bitch!
I wrote a long comment yesterday but see it didn't get saved. Sucks.
Anyway, did the doc check for vertigo? An innear-ear thing which throws you off balance and causes dizziness. Happened to me last winter when I started swimming a lot and it was brutal. Caused feelings of nausea, etc.
Also, you are not in a setback at all. It's a slowdown but you've lost nothing in terms of fitness or speed. It's all in your head. Impossible to go from fit and lean to fat in 4 days, no matter how much turkey you ate.
Follow the physio's training guidance and look ahead to ITU. We are racing same day, though I am in Florida. Now is not the time to focus on the rear view mirror. Look ahead to that Saturday and live your life / act accordingly. Good times coming up so get ready for it!
PUSSY!
Not sure why you say you are going clean and not having any beer and then jump the shark so quickly and give up and throw away all the hard work you put in these past weeks?
Regardless, my thoughts are this, every time you train for something, something happens and you have to back off your training and you are fine. You are giving your body proper recovery time so don't sweat it.
Stop being a pussy and stop complaining about your measely watermelon head getting whacked!
Get back out there and train! Canada doesn't care that you had a beer and hit your head or that you have "no motivation" because you are a "fat ass". Canada cares that you are in the best shape of your life for the ITUs. How bout you get your shit together?
S, thanks for the comment. Meant a lot. Your damn right and put it in great perspective. Thanks, I needed that.
J, your right, no crying over spilt milk and the Chrissie analogy is a good one, considering she's my favourite triathlete. Thanks
D, Interesting, if the dizziness continues I will get it checked out for sure. THanks for the advice. Also, good luck in Florida.
M, yup, I jumped the shark, were were you when I tweeted for advice. What did you have a life or something???? haha. I will say, the watermelon head got a shit kicking. Damn it hurt, maybe the upside is it will knock some sense into me. haha.
B
Post a Comment