Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Almost over...


Okay, this was potentially one of the greatest work day's I can remember having in a long time. It was definitely my best sales presentation ever.

The day started off with me spending 90 minutes at the dentist, I'm getting a bridge, my tooth cracked and they pulled it last year and I figured I better get it fixed before my health plan is cut off. I have two, one with AG and one with Embassy. The bridge is $2800, I'm hoping the insurance covers half of it. It's also tough to chew without a molar on the right side.

I had my appointment set up with Wayne and Rino at 1 pm to go through my proposed compensation plan. On the way to the office I called Al to see what he thought of it, he generally liked it, there was areas I needed to clarify and simplify. I didn't get the 100% warm fuzzes from him, he was about 75% with me trying to convince him.

I got to the office and I had an email from Mark Lander, he does what I do in the U.S. for a company just like mine. He had just left and was open to telling me how they paid, what they paid and gave me suggestions on my plan. He really looked at my proposal and marked it up, he must have spend at least half an hour on it. Him and I know each other as acquaintances and for him to do that was awesome. I owe him.

I called him to review and we spend the next 45 minutes on the phone with him explaining it to me. My proposal had me going in with a $100,000 base and he said that was too low for the experience and knowledge I bring to the table. We moved it up to $150,000 plus $9000 for auto. He then suggested a commission for sales that I close and a bonus for increased business as business unit director.

In the end, based on my current known sales, no increases, it would come out to $244,000 per year and if I knock it out of the park this year it could be higher, maybe $280-$300,000K. The best part is that within 3 to 4 years it's not unlikely that I can be around the $450,000 plus range just from growing my existing client base.

The plan was solid, it was primarily performance based, it was a win win for both sides. Mark also helped me simplify it and we took out some of the other things I wanted. He thought that if I put too much detail in, it becomes a legal sort of discussion and not partnering spirit discussion. I agreed. There was two areas I knew needed to be discussed and even though I knew what I wanted, I didn't document it, I just put them as discussion points.

I postponed my meeting by 30 minutes to finalize the proposal with examples of how it works using real numbers. It was a total of two pages and lots of white space. I emailed it to Al to get his feed back, he looked at it and LOVED IT. He thought it was very far and would be shocked if they didn't accept it. We talked as I drove to head office and played different scenarios over the phone and he did some coaching of things I should or shouldn't say. The best advice was "stay calm, don't over-react if they offer less". I'm known not to be a calm guy if I think what I've offered is fair, in the past I'll walk away and sabotage myself rather than just treating it as a negotiation.

When I got together with Wayne and Rino the meeting couldn't have went better. I prepared some notes before hand and used them as a guide, it was a loose script from all the advice I got. I really wished I would have had a tape recorder, it was the best sales presentation I've ever given, there was never any me versus them. I told them that I've spent a lot of time on this, talked to Mark Lander (who was also prepared to talk to them directly if they wanted verification or recommendation that they don't let me go. I kept that in my back pocket and never had to use it), I reviewed it with some key people in my mastermind group with the intent to make it fair. I wanted to make sure that it was something I'd go for if I was on the owner side of the table.

The meeting couldn't have went better, it lasted 3-hours and they liked what they saw. I also gave them the compensation bonus structure that Mark paid his sales reps and the loved it. They were making notes furiously. I had it in my original proposal and took it out, I didn't want it to look like I wanted and wanted and wanted. The funny part is they loved the idea and if they roll it out to the sales team, I'm a member of the team and will get it as well, that would allow me to make a minimum of $25,000 more per year. It was like poetry in motion, everything just flowed.

The proposal was very fair and gave both sides what each side wanted. The way it's structured is they only risk $115,000 of non commission base even though they guarantee me $150,000 K. It was a dual discussion, we talked about my compensation and we'd drift to business unit strategy, it was very positive and exciting. I mentioned that I've got my mojo

When we got to dismissal without cause, I knew what I wanted and we batted it around and eventually I gave the idea of paying me half of what I made in the previous 6-months and if they let me go without cause my non-compete is no longer valid. It was a way to keep them honest and not think they can reduce costs without possible repercussions. They got that and didn't think it was unreasonable. On the flip side they wanted to know if I decided to quit how much notice I would give. I asked them what they wanted and they said it may take them 6-8 weeks just to find someone to replace me, it wouldn't be an easy hire. I offered them up to 3-months notice and if I leave for any reason or I'm fired for cause, I'd sign a non-compete. I don't see either happening, unless they have a morals clause in my contract. I made it clear that I want a place to say long term and hang my hat. Frankly, if I left, it's not going to be to another printer anyway so I have no problem signing a non-compete.

During the whole meeting, unless I read it wrong, what they said and body language was in approval with my agreement. I got the sense that they had a sense of relief. They definitely can't succeed without me, no one knows the business and clients like I do. I've also been laying sales track for the past 5-years. They didn't buy my business not to grow it.

Near the end of the meeting, they said they didn't see any apparent issues with the proposal. Wayne said he'd get back to me in a day or two, we both agreed that we want to put this to bed this week. I got the sense that they wanted to say yes, but didn't want to appear over-eager and give me the impression that they thought is was a good deal for them. If they do come back with any issues, I think it will be with the severance structure, that wasn't confirmed. At the end of our 3-hour meeting I said that I tried to be as fair as possible, I wanted to come with my best foot forward, be very fair and not negotiate. I said trying to cut my commission a percentage her or there is not much in the scheme of things and Wayne said, he agreed, he wouldn't want to do it and "take the wind out of my sales". I told them I want to be done with this and move towards building the division. We then talked more about the direction I wanted to take and I though some ideas and suggested after were done the agreement, Al and I will talk and get back to them.

I hung around the office a little after the meeting and the VP of production came in, he's a difficult guy and rough at the best of time, he wears his heart on his sleeve. If he like you you know it and if he doesn't you know it. He came in and was looking at me like I was his best friend, a little love and trust in his eyes. All the guys looked the same way, they seem to have drank the Bryan Payne Kool-aid.

They told me it won't take long to get back, they talked like it was just a formality. In either event, if they did come back to change it, which would SHOCK me, I'm standing my ground. Frankly, they had no idea how to structure this deal and I made it totally easy for them.

Even though it's taken 2-months of discussions, I'm so glad it did, it couldn't have worked out better. It was a real dance and in the process, they saw the level of my capability on so many levels. The business plan, closed sales, bringing Al on board with potentially $2-3 million dollars of work, watching Al work his magic and following the spirit of the conversation style he used to get a good deal, then to top it off, just by chance decided to call Mark Lander and get the most awesome advice and input. It was also good to flush out that I just want to sell, it comes easy to me, it's got more job security and I have a huge amount of freedom, I can work from anywhere and don't have to go to the office when I don't want to or train when I want to.

Oh, on the vacation I said I'd like a minimum of 4-weeks which they thought was reasonable. I did say I may want a couple more weeks next year, I'm taking the family on a European vacation next year. I told them I'm in sales, I check emails and voice mails everyday, even on vacation. Even in China last year I was working, negotiation the sale of the business. They understood and agreed fully, Rino chuckled when I told them I can work from my car, he said he does a lot of closing in his car on blue tooth.

The meeting couldn't have gone better, it they don't give me exactly what I asked for I'd be stunned. I sure hope they get back to me tomorrow or before the long weekend.

On the way home I called Al, he was super happy for me. I talked to Alice, she was happy and I'm sure relieved. I then emailed Jamie and picked him up to come to the Pig & Whistle. He brought a bottle of Champagne, expensive of course. I'm glad we didn't have it yet, Barb wasn't there and I want to have the confirmation first. We had a mini-celebration last night and I showed Jamie the plan, he liked it and said you get over $400,000 and that's serious money.

The best part is I'm not worried about getting the numbers, selling is like drinking water to me, I've done it my whole life and it's effortless. I've sold big big accounts without even owning the equipment to do it in-house and convinced them to allow me to farm it out until I get the equipment myself. I've done that most of my life. Not many sales people can build enough trust to get people to give you work without having the equipment. I'm so excited about lighting it up. I told Wayne and Rino, tongue in cheek, I don't even want to see them unless I have to after we sign our agreement, I want to focus on growing the business. All true.

Jamie and I smoked cigars, he was really happy for me. We drank beer. He left around 10 pm and I kept going until they were all gone. Even in my drunk state I told Alice I won't bring up about my childhood horror stories, it was bothering her. I just did it to record it in the blog, it's part of documenting my life and experiences. Now that it's done, it's done.

I'm so looking forward to moving on with the rest of my life, I want to bust my ass for the next 5 years and get to over $500,000 per year and do it in Ironman shape.

I didn't train today, for obvious reasons, I wanted to celebrate. I'm still stress a little, at least until the plan is officially confirmed. I told Jamie that once it's done, I'm taking him and Barb out to Ruth Chris for a nice big steak dinner on me.

Yesterday was a good day for Reid too, Alice bought him a $200 paintball gun. He's got to pay her back. We decided last night that were going to rent the paint ball facility and have our families and Reid's friends do the paint ball thing. I've never done it, I'll probably want have a few beers before to make it even more fun.

Our basement is looking a little like a greenhouse, Alyssa is little miss flower, she's growing flowers from seeds. She's taking after Alice's mom who did the same.

No Training - Pre-celebration Celebration

7 comments:

CouplaHounds said...

Congrats, B! Sounds like you had an amazing day. You can hear the enthusiasm and confidence bouncing off the page...no wonder Wayne and Rino were impressed. That's the way to do it!

Awesome outcome...Ironman, work, sales, no stress...all good!

BL said...

Congratulations. Couplahounds is right when he said you can hear the enthusiasm and confidence bouncing of the page. You worked hard to get to this point in true Ironman fashion, one more stroke, one more rotation of the pedals, one more foot in front of the other eventually getting to the finish line. Way to go B. Later Bob.

Simon said...

Awesome Bryan, now get it signed off and then you can really enjoy that Champagne.

Nice job!

Johan Stemmet said...

B
Wow that is awesome. Hope you get the good news soon
Well done
J

Johan Stemmet said...

B
Wow that is awesome. Hope you get the good news soon
Well done
J

Matty O said...

You will want a bunch of beers before you Paintball... those damn things hurt like no tomorrow!

Also wear a couple layers of loose clothing so that when you get hit the clothes will take the impact, not your body!!!

Beware when those pretty little plants have five leaves and smell like pot ;) LOL, j/k. I am sure she is a good girl.

Tons of stories in Ohio of kids growing their own pot now in their parents homes haha.

Bryan said...

Thanks Guys and M, thanks for the paint ball advice, will definitley remember it. Alyssa and Pot??? Nah.....But, if she did, she could work with her brother, he's definitely good at the negotiation side of business. Screw the Lemonade stand. haha

B