Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Almost perfect...


The one thing about staying in a hotel in Times Square that has a LCD billboard in front of your window is that when it lights up and you're in a semi-sleep you think the angels are coming for you. It's disturbing when you wake in the middle of the night to this bright white light. Once I figured out where I was I made a mental note, have them put my window facing a dark alley next time.

I woke up a little groggy, I didn't fall asleep until 1 am and was up at 7:15 am. By the time I woke up and had to be down to the conference there was no time to train and It wasn't any critical workouts anyways. I was so glad I didn't go back out bar hoping after I came back to the hotel with my customer.

It's been a long time since I've been interested or enjoyed any industry conferences. I've been turned off the dying world of print for the last 7-years and was glad to sell the business. I never thought I'd ever attend another print conference or even stay in print after my 1-year was up.

Surprisingly it was a really good conference. It was the first time their was an excitement in one segment of the printing industry, on-demand book printing. The new technology that is going to revolutionize on-demand printing is ink-jet presses. In less than two years they are hear and now taking over offset printing, which took over letterpress.

There was speakers from all the major suppliers and customers like Random House, Scholastic, Harlequin and Wiley. The publishing industry has typically be a VERY slow to adapt any new technology. With the iPad and now ink jet printing it seems like they are rejuvenated as well and open to all new technology that will help their business. It was a weird feeling.

The biggest question from everyone was "Is the printed book dead", especially with e-books and the iPad. It seems the consensus is that for some books yes and for others no. The one key concept I came up with, I should "said mark" it, is "if it's worth it, print it".

I actually felt pumped after the conference, all I learnt plays into my additional business plans for Wayne and if he doesn't go for it, I've may just do it or something similar on my own. It is interesting to see the people in the room, the average age seemed to be 50 years old plus and I only saw three young people who had just entered the industry. I wanted to tell them to quit now and find something better. Overall, the printing industry is not a good profession anymore unless your in it and you have no where to go.

After the conference I caught a cab and actually got on standby for a flight 4 hours before my scheduled departure. With 15 minutes before departure I got on, then 5 minutes later the people who were booked arrived and bumped me off the plan. I now sit with 4 hours to spare. I now wished I stayed in NYC, I could have went for a run or tried to sneak into my hotel gym for a workout.

I almost had the opportunity to get free tickets for the David Lettermen show tonight. At lunch time I was walking outside and they were giving away free tickets, unfortunately I had to show up at 2:30 pm to pick them up for the 5:30 pm filming and I couldn't, I was still in seminars. Too bad, that would have been fun.

For the rest of the next 4 hours I'll probably start having a few beers in the airport lounge and depending on how I feel, I'll probably stay in Buffalo overnight at a hotel near the Airport. I don't want to drink and drive and especially cross the border with any smell of alcohol on my breath.

I'm just getting over taxi sickness, I had the WORST cab driver. He got me to the airport fast but he was driving with such wicked stops and starts, there was major G-Force involved. Plus, I haven't had much to eat today, although what I have had is all healthy.

Can hardly wait to get back home and get back on a regular schedule. Can hardly wait to start my speed work this week. I think my calf problems are over, touch wood.

No Training - Travel / Conference

3 comments:

Matty O said...

cab drivers in general are horrible haha. I think I am going to die every cab ride I take... not fun.

I agree with the printing industry, I think the digital age is in full effect now and you guys are going to have to figure a way to curb the market again.

Good luck man, glad you enjoyed the whirlwind trip!

CouplaHounds said...

Cool trip, especially running through / around CP.

I lived in NY for a year a couple years back and EVERY time I got in a cab, I thought I was going to be sick. And I'm not talking about after leaving the bar!!

I like your slogan - 'If it's worth it, print it'. I think that is what most people do with their key photos.

We honestly love photobooks and have several. They have certainly replaced photo albums, in my mind!

No doubt the printing industry is tough right now...I joke with a friend, who is a librarian, about what it's like to work in a dying institution!! Gets her going every time...!

Bryan said...

Yup, printing sucks, unless your doing books on demand, which I am, only growth area right now.

Although, I wouldn't miss printing. haha

B