Sunday, April 3, 2011

Legs are a getting stronger...

The plan was to rest today, no training. After near 11 hours of training in 2 days, I thought it was important to take Sunday off.

I'm starting to shuffle and hobble like I used to last year and I wore compression socks all day. I could be bothered to put on the tights, they take to long and I didn't have the motivation.

I'm back addicted to twitter, I've got to ween myself off that and I'm glad Jamie and Barb came over for drinks and Cigars this afternoon. It got me off twitter and is way more fun. We went for the "early bird" dinner with Jamie, Barb and Alex at about 4:30 pm. I don't mind, I just like giving Jamie a bad time about it. He's on a get up at 4 am schedule, I'm on a get up at 7:30 am schedule, if I'm lucky.

All day I felt bloated and as the night wore on I got more bloated. It was from my muscles retaining the water for repair, I could feel it. I also felt my legs getting stronger. One day of rest after heavy workouts will make a world of difference.

For me I find if I pack on the training I get stronger, not weaker. After Lake Placid last year I had my best race and swore that 3 or 4 days after that race I felt so strong I'm sure I could have went faster.

I'm curious to see how my training plan is going to work. Last year when training for China I realized one thing, I was stronger and faster on week 8 of training than week 13. In fact, although MAO doesn't recommend anything less than 12 weeks of training for an Ironman, I think 8 weeks would be best for me, providing I was in good shape before I started the heavy duty training.

As much as you want to be ready to race physically, you also need to be ready mentally. I want to be able to show up on race day looking forward to the race not dreading it and wanting it to be over soon.

On the diet front, all is still well, no snacking on anything unhealthy. I can't tell you how good that feels not to snack and to have power over it. I woke up today at 186 lbs.

This week is going to be an interesting training week, I'm in New York for a conference for a couple of days. I'm looking forward to going for a run around Central Park. This week all my speed work sessions start, hopefully that will bring back the speed on my bike.

If the weather was nice, I would have done two back to back long rides in an attempt to get my riding legs back. I think the issue is mental, I don't care about speed or hurt, I just want to finish comfortably. The only downside is the blow to the ego seeing such slow riding speeds and wondering if it was all a dream.

After dinner with the Grants at Tin Cup, where I got to see Jamie use his new Black Card and the waitress actually knowing what it was, it was off to home for a nap before the Apprentice started. I almost stole Jamie's thunder by telling the waitress to bring the card here for signature, it's not his, it's mine. I was close to cock, er card blocking him.

Got a little scare tonight, thought I felt another cold sore coming on, that would be all bad. I wouldn't want to go to a conference in NYC with customers with a big honking open wound gross herpes infested cold sore. But that's just me.

Before I went to bed, I had to get Alice to pull off my compression socks like I was a little kid, I had no energy. Now I know how Reid feels and it feels good.

No Training - Rest Day
186 lbs

2 comments:

Matty O said...

Mama Bear takes care of Pappa Bear now too?

Better not step on Baby Bear's toes haha.

Interesting assessment on when you feel race ready. Everyone is different and the fact that you know when you produce the best times and feel the best would be a great gauge to use in creating your training plans.

Have fun in the states.

Bryan said...

M, thanks.