Sunday, April 10, 2011
Stinking to high heaven...
I had a good night sleep, 10.5 solid hours. It felt good, although my resting heart rate was about 7 beats higher than I'd like to see it. If it's in the mid to low 50's I know all's well.
The MAO schedule had me doing a 2:40 run today, I decided to do 3 hours instead. I did 3 last week and wanted to do another 3 hour run. I looked at the weather schedule and it said it was going up to 16C in the afternoon, the morning didn't feel like it, it was 6 C. I wasn't sure what to wear, I'm so used to wearing my heavy duty jacket.
Yesterday I wore my jacket and bundled up like it was January. It turns out that Rodney saw me and commented that I looked bundled for January. I did notice everyone else was wearing a lot less. My issue is I hate when my feet get cold on the bike. I wish I had a chart that told me how to best dress for the various levels of cold.
It looks like warmer weather is finally on the way. Next week it looks like a lot of 15 -16 C days. Rain a lot of those days, but warmer. I'm cool with that. I have three more long rides and runs until my IMSG taper. I'm only going to taper for the last week.
I had a solid weekend of training. The worst part of my training was the smell. Yesterday, my clothes was insanely stinky. I guess it was the beer and cigars. Today was no different, I was again stinky. Alice washed my jacket from yesterday and she couldn't believe how smelly it was. She then smelt my water belt and got discussed and put it in the sink with disinfectant. Even my white hat from today's run had all shorts of yellow stuff on it.
The weather was good, windy but good. It started cool and then by at the 2 hour mark I took off my long sleeve running stop and just ran in a tee shirt. I was happy with the run, at the half way point I was running a 5:17 pace and ended up with a 5:29 average. There was a lot of running and walking at the end in order to keep my heart rate down.
I was inspired to go a little longer today after seeing Simon's and Matty O's 32 and 30 km runs respectfully. Matty had a picture of him sitting in an ice bath after his 18.6 mile run. I was really happy with my 21 mile plus run. The one thing about Ironman is having your running legs, if you're going to err on the training, make sure you run more than anything, or so I've heard.
With the partying I've lost my low heart rate base, I'm sure with consistent training I'll get it back within the next week or two. I'll know I'm ready when I can finish my long run without having to stop. My calf's for the most of the run were fine, near the end I had a little twinge on some of the down hills. My entire run is mostly hills, needs to be for St. George. I realized that when I hurt it before I was running downhill as well. I'm also glad I'm breaking in these new shoes, I felt blisters coming on and when I got home I found one.
Surprisingly, I felt pretty good after the run. Tired and sore a little, nothing major. My focus was getting some water in the body, I lost over 5 lbs on the run and finished at 181 lbs. I was happy to see I weighed in this am at 185 lbs, even after having salty popcorn last night. I drove about 10 km from home at 11 pm to pick it up, it's awesome, I picked up a few bags.
I can really tell I've lost my upper body strength and shape after not swimming since St. Paddy's day. Starting this week I'll be back in the pool and doing more swimming than normal. Three weeks is more than enough time to get 90% of my swim speed back.
On the home front, Reid made his own old school skateboard. He bought a used part of old roller skates and took the wheels off and put them on a wooden board he bought. He put them on trucks and changed the bearings. He definitely is mechanically inclined, I keep telling him he needs to get a job at a skate shop. He shows his friends how to tape their boards with grip tape all the time.
For the post run afternoon, I sat in my compression tights and watched the Masters and was cheering for Tiger. Actually for about 45 minutes, after I took off my clothes to give to Alice to watch I was too tired to do anything but lie on the couch in my underwear. Alice and Alyssa don't like when Reid and I walk around the house in our underwear. Alice asked if I like to see here walk around in her underwear, I said sure.
With respect to Tiger, he makes golf so much more interesting when he is in the hunt. Alice doesn't like him, his antics and what he did to his wife disgusts her, that I get. I'd much rather watch golf than play it.
I forgot to mention about that two geese on two separate times during my run acted like they were going to attach me. In both cases there was two geese and one seemed to be the aggressor of the two. One jumped a fence and started squawking, another hiss me. I then dawned on me that it's probably a mating ritual, the males were probably showing off. I did see one road kill item I've never seen before, a dead goose in the ditch.
Long Run - 3:07:15 / 34.14 / 5:29 avg / 139 avg hr
185.8 lbs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Ironman - it's all about the run!!! Always has been, always will be.
Great job buddy, looks like me, you and MattyO put a good weekend together.
As for the geese, dude, they just don't lik the smell hahahaha.
S, thanks, I saw that on twitter, you guys run's motivated me to go just a little farther, I didn't want to be in the 30 - 32 km pussy range, I went for 34 km. haha. Hitting 21 miles is better than 18.6. haha
B
S, oh and on the geese, you may be right, never thought of that. haha.
B
Damn, had I known it was a contest I would have kept going, I felt great on the run haha.
I don't typically smell bad ... Heather thinks I am a freak of nature since I don't have B.O. Sucks for you though, that has to get some nasty funk smell going on after that many hours.
Yeah, I walk around the house in my boxers every day. My mother in law thinks its hilarious when she is over out house. I support the women walking around in their underwear too, lets keep things interesting haha.
Love you comment on the run too, I need to pack our schedule with some more solid runs for the summer. I agree, I think running gives you the most solid base for the other two sports as well.
Nice job man. Keep the mojo going and ride this wave!
M, yup, always go last in any contest, even if there ain't one. haha. NO BO, that is weird, do your farts smell like flowers as well? haha. Just wait, you will foul up as you age. Guaranteed. And H will wish you where stinkless again. haha
B
Post a Comment