Saturday, April 2, 2011

Life is Good...







I don't know what it is, the hypnosis or the change in weather or what, I feel great and in control.

Not snacking on crap has been awesome. I still snack every once and a while, just on carrots or yogurt or something healthy. I'm finding I'm not gaining weight when I control my snacking, even though I'm drinking lots of beer.

I don't even care about my benders anymore. I've come to accept, it's who I am and life is to short to not be happy with yourself and live with any guilt. I guess I'm stripping the Catholic teachings about sin and guilt. Screw it, enjoying life is what counts and making no apologies for you being you.

This morning I woke up at 8:30 am. I can't remember the last time I went to bed at 11 pm on a Friday night without a drink. After yesterdays 7 hour ride I wanted to get my 3 hour run done early. Then I could relax and hang out at the Pig and Whistle, smoke cigars, drink beer, listen to 70's music, tweet drunk, and all round have fun. Which I did.

The run was hard, my legs were very flat and at the halfway point I was only running a 5:33 pace. It was also cold and very windy, up to 39 kph. I saw a lot of cyclist out and I was so glad I did my long ride yesterday. Although the temperature was lower yesterday, it felt colder today. I kind of dig this take Friday off and do my long ride and get it out of the way. Then run Saturday am and get it all out of the way.

My legs were sore when I finished, the last 10 km was run then walk to keep the heart rate down. I also had a major scare at the turnaround point, my right calf area was bothering me, it wasn't the fleshy part of the calf, it was the strand that goes down to the Achilles. I stopped and stretched and almost called Alice to pick me up. Instead, I persevered and in only 10 km it worked it's way out. Just as I got home it felt fine. I consider that a big win.

I started the morning at 185 lbs in the am, got to 181 after my run, before hydrating up again.

The plan was to do the bike and run on Friday and Saturday and take Sunday off to recover. I was so looking forward to rewarding myself with relaxation and fun when I finished my 3 hour shuffle. I did take 40 ounces of water and 2 gels with me this time. I'm glad I did, they came in handy and helped me get through.

I was shocked to see that people were actually golfing today. There was snow and patches of grass on the course and they were out there. It looks like the beer stops are opening up for the year already. I'm glad I didn't take my debit card with me, I would have been tempted to stop and use it.

I'm really happy with my training this week. It was a good test and I think I'm on track. I did a 2:40 Run on Monday, a 3:10 bike Tuesday, then a 7:13 ride and 30 min brick on Friday and a 3:00 run on Saturday. That's two long runs and a total of 68 km of running in 6 days. Also, in only 4 days of training this week, I did 345.69 km of training. I'm feeling more confident my calf won't be a problem and I should be okay for not overly suffering at IMSG.

When I got home it was stretching, showering and then compression tights. I was tired and called Jamie and he came over for cigars and beers. It only took about 3 beers and boom, I felt normal again. Beer has amazing healing properties. Even my upper back, between the shoulder blades was sore and fatigued and the beer helped relax me.

Jamie left after a few and Alice and I carried on, then we barbecued some awesome steaks and had a great family meal. We usually barbecue steak every weekend. I'm the best at making steak. Jamie and I are planing on having a "steak off" and one week he'll eat at my place, the next week I'll eat at his. We both prepared our steaks and John Barclay becomes the judge of who barbecues the better steak. I'd be surprised if I lose, my steaks are as good if not better than high-end steak houses. Without bragging to much, I have a gift for barbecuing steak. Touch wood I don't jinx myself now.

The rest of the night Alice and I were in the Pig and Whistle, Reid came down and joined us, Alyssa came in. I gave Reid some great fatherly advice, have no idea what it is when I sober up. Alyssa was baking upstairs. When we finally decided to go to bed, in the Kitchen was two large plates of cup cakes.

Normally I'd eat one, then another and boom one of the plates would be gone. Tonight, didn't touch them. Earlier in the night I snacked on baby carrots as I drank my beer and on the way to bed I bi-passed the cup cakes and went for a little yogurt and steak. As a typical caveman, I grabbed the steak with my hands, put it in my mouth and pulled. No fork, no knife, all teeth and hands. There is something liberating of eating like a caveman.

All night I was tweeting drunk, I love doing that. I love poking people in the eye. I guess it must of been crazy because I had some people direct mail me asking if everything was okay? It was fun. Alice hates when I tweet, she says "why are you tweeting to losers you don't even know, turn that thing off". I find that I've learnt a lot about human nature through tweeting and blogging.

Most people are lurkers, they want to hide in the shadows. Most aren't cleaver enough to tweet things back quickly and take a long time to respond. I sent one tweet out, "me with me" and it got some good replies. I was me standing beside my standee of me.

I also tweeted a picture of a project called "The Town" that Reid did. He got the highest mark in his class. He's in an adapted program, he's a visual learner, and this class was a regular class and he beat the other kids on even turf. He actually did a really good job, he worked hard at it and I'm glad he did well. I keep telling him that next year in High School he's going to need to really start applying himself. His future depends on it.

Overall, I'd rank this day as a winner.  My key word that I keep telling Alice right now is "Life is Good".

Long Run - 3:00:08 / 31.58 km / 5:42 pace / 137 avg hr

4 comments:

Matty O said...

Alice called me a loser?!

Come on now!

I have learned a ton from blogger and twitter, good sources of information. Yes.. A LOT of lurkers. Going private was the best way to put those people out to the curb.

Way to go reid! That is awesome that he is doing well in that class. Wonder if doing like Urban Planning would be in his focus or not. They are govt. workers in America and get a heck of a lot of money to tell people where to build certain things in the cities haha.

Bryan said...

M, no she wasn't refering to you, she was refering to those loser's I don't know, you on the other hand are one of the losers I know. hahahaha

Bryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.