Monday, April 11, 2011

Finally a respectable ride...

First off, thanks to Simon, we know what I'm doing, he's coined the phrase....Reality Blogging. It's true, I'm doing this so I can remember the details, it's now about ALL areas in my life. Work, family, triathlon and everything in between.

Lots going on, on the work front, Al called me this am and he's moving forward with AG and sent out client letters. This could be a delicate subject down the road when my brother finds out. I'm not too worried, I didn't do anything wrong and only set up introductions after the receiver took over the business.

This morning I woke up at 5:30 am and couldn't sleep. Last night before bed I listened to my self hypnosis stress tape and it really helped me with the way I was feeling regarding my negotiations with Wayne. I was starting to work myself into a frenzy and thinking the deal is going to suck before I even seen the deal and was preparing for a battle. It was an upsurd approach. It happens because of the unknown. The tape helped big time, I felt perfectly normal afterwards and open and receptive to see the proposal.

For the past week, with my major beer consumption I have been brain mush. There was a few pricing proposals I've been putting off for a couple of weeks, I didn't want to do them until I was confident I had my head into the numbers. For one of the largest of the three proposals, I knew I had to get it in today. My objective was to focus at work and get it done.

I was in the right frame of mind and within 2 hours had it done and felt good about it. It's higher than what they are paying and I think I have a way to get them to justify the purchase with local production and lower shipping costs.

At one point Johnny came in and I was talking about my brothers business situation with him. I so feel that my brother really screwed this up and I'm not sure if he understands the level of his personal issues. I'm supporting him and have no plans on telling him how I feel or what I see unless he asks. I'm not going to get into things for the sake of getting into it, the days of me trying to teach my brother or any family member a lesson is long gone. I'd only reply to him if he asks and I'd do it gently.

I would tell him that he needs help, alcohol detox and he needs to see a psychiatrist. He has so many issues I'm not even sure if therapy would help. Unfortunately I think my brothers brain neutrons are not all connected correctly. His core nature has been the same from birth, he's not empathic, highly narcissistic and a bully. A deadly combination. I still love him and support him in spite of his issues. Sadly, I know this bankruptcy will not change him for the better, he is who he is. I hope I'm wrong.

After I emailed my pricing proposal to the client, I emailed Wayne to soft nudge him:

W, hope you had a nice weekend, finally some decent weather.

I just wanted to follow up on our Friday meeting.

First, I really appreciated you and Rino taking the time to meet with Al and I. I've spoken to him a couple times over the weekend and he liked what he saw and heard. If he hasn't already, I'm sure he'll be in contact with you today. I think if we can finalize the business details with him, he'll come on board. If you need me to help in any way, just let me know.

Also, you mentioned on Friday that you came up with a compensation plan for me, which is great, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Let me know what day / time / place works for you.

B


I knew today was going to be out of the question, especially finalizing things with Al. Plus, I needed to train. After I did my proposal, I got to the YMCA at 1 pm for my swim. I just started swimming and John Fortin showed up. I haven't seen him since last September. He's definitely put on a few pounds and mentioned it. The last time I saw him he looked spectacular. Today he looked similar to what he did when he started training last year. I swam in the lane beside him and saw a little belly.

He said he's off contract and no longer working and now looking for work. I noticed once he took that job he was off twitter and blogging. He said ski season is now over and he's back at it. I told him I too needed to lose 5 lbs, actually, I need to lose 7 lbs to be real happy.

My swimming sucks, to be expected. It was my first swim since just before St. Paddy's day, March 15th, almost four weeks to the day. One whole month out of the pool. Now that I think of it, my swim wasn't that bad all things considered. My hand is also okay. I can swim, the St. Paddy's day fall down on my hand injury is over.

Today was awesome weather, it got up to 21 C after my swim. My objective was to get home and get on the bike, I wanted to do at least 3:20 on the bike and knew if I could get out early enough it would be more. This was the first ride wearing normal cycling gear, no bootes, no bulky jackets. All I wore was a long sleeve shirt under my bright yellow cycling jersey.

Before I got into full swing, I stopped by Jamie's house, he picked up some chain lube for me when he took his bike into Wheels in Oakville. I was in such a rush and with my earphones on I didn't have a lot of time to talk, actually feeling bad about that afterwards, I emailed him so. It was so nice riding a quiet bike, no more noise.

It was a WINDY ride, for the first 57 km, it was into a head wind or a side head wind and I averaged only 25.6 kph. With that, I was riding strong, I felt it. I was enjoying riding into the headwinds and was at times doing it with a respectable speed. Turning around and coming back was the best, I was flying. By the end of the ride I brought the total ride average up to 29.6 kph. The weather was 21 C when I started and dropped to 13 C when I finished, my feet and body felt a little cold.

The entire ride was strong and felt easy. I think there is something about riding without bulk that helped. I was also able to maintain the aero position for almost the entire ride. I felt strong. It gave me hope. I was especially happy knowing that I did a 34 km run yesterday, swam today and still had a strong ride.

When I got home, it was just before dark. I spoke to Al briefly on the phone and he met with Rino and Wayne and they worked out their deal. He mentioned that he put in a plug for me and said that he told them that "I'm one of a kind, he's known me for a long time, I helped train and sell with him when he got into the business, that no one outworks me, I'm a third generation and know every aspects of print and that if I'm focused no one will beat me". I think Al also told about some of our hard working go-go style sales trips and Rino mentioned he experienced it first hand in San Francisco. Al thinks from their discussion and body language they they hold me in high regard. I hope so, I'd like to finalize this deal to something we both will be happy with. I just hope it's not a stupid offer.

I was happy with the day, got important work done and 5 hours of training on a Monday. Great way to start the week. Tonight I spent my time in a hot bath and while there decided to shave my legs, I was looking mighty woolly, like a non-triathlete. The tub is still a mess, I need to clean it up.

Physically I know I'm feeling strong. I got out of a hot tub and did not need to rest. I was sweating but not light headed or fatigued. All good signs. My last workout of the night was putting on my full compression tights with freshly shaved legs, not easy, no smoothness. I had to do a lot of pulling, I got quite the arm workout.

It was then to the computer, clean up some work emails and snack on some nice watermelon. I can tell summer is coming when we have watermelon in the fridge. Sadly for Reid, I ate it all.

Long Swim - 1:06:57 / 3000 meters
Mod Bike - 3:52:45 / 114.88 km / 29.6 kph

4 comments:

CouplaHounds said...

A major win for you today, B. Work front..check, eating well..chack, solid training...check. Nicely done!

DRog said...

Lots going on !!!

GREAT news on the hand and the swimming. I guess "resting" your hand really paid off - haha

but good motion and forward progress at work and training it would seem

love the reality blogging

I actually turned mine off, changed my post content. I am going to keep the current blog out, but only post training stuff. I (like you and MO) had too many people I didnt want reading my $hit. I took all last week and saved all my posts and pics for my blurb book. what a pain! I'm still writing personal posts for my book, but wont have them on the blog.

fruit = all you can eat...Im going with that myself lately in an attempt to get lean!!

have a great week

D

Bryan said...

D, thanks.

D, thanks

Matty O said...

Curious how the swim comes back with a few weeks left haha.

Glad things are panning out with work, don't sound too desperate man. I think your email was a good prod to keep them moving forward with you. They are probably trying to strong arm you to a point and make you wait til the deadline to leave you in a "tight spot" so to speak so that their negotiations are stronger on their side. That would be really the only reason for them to drag this out for months now.

Patience. You know the number you want, just have to wait to find out whose court the ball starts off in.