I did two long things today, it took me 4 hours to write yesterdays' blog post and then I did a 2:40 long run.
It was kind of weird doing the blog post, after writing it and reading it objectively, it seems a little surreal and bizarre. I'm surprised I'm not major league screwed up and surprised I've made it this far in life. I was also amazed that I was able to maintain a relatively good relationship with my parents up until last year. I definitely forgave along the way, my brother Bob didn't, as long as I can remember he only surface talks with my dad.
Today's run was wet and foggy. It was spitting rain and a little cool. My brain was a little numb from last nights beer drinking and I was thinking a lot about yesterday's blog post about my dad, that really helps time fly. I also find that time goes faster listening to music than Howard Stern and I'm starting to enjoy the 80's music more than the 70's.
My legs felt great during the run and afterwards, the rest days have been really helpful. The only pain I experience is near the end of the run, my upper back, between the shoulder blades gets fatigued and sore. It's norm and I'm hoping with more runs and rides before IMSG it will strengthen. I did walk a lot on today's ride, my heart rate was unusually high from partying last night. Lots of walking.
During the run I got an email from a client I gave a proposal to earlier this week. They thought our pricing was great and they want to provide us with their Canadian business. Earlier in the Day I emailed Wayne and Rino about yesterdays phone conversation and then I was able to email the good news after my run. The first email I sent as a follow up from yesterday said:
Guys, just wanted to let you know I really appreciated our discussions yesterday, it felt good to drill down and get everyones perspective out on the table. After reflecting on our conversation, I'm feeling much more comfortable about the direction, I'm looking forward to meeting on Tuesday. Based on the overall spirit of our discussions I think a mutually beneficial comp structure can be had.
I also spoke to Al today and had a lengthy discussion about the best way to approach the book publishers. After we firm things up with myself, I think it would make sense that Al and I get together with you guys to discuss our thoughts.
Thanks again and I hope your enjoying today's rain and remember it could be worse, you could be me and be doing a 2 hour and 40 minute run in it later today. haha.
Have a good one,
B
I'm feeling much better about just taking a sales position. Al and I had a long conversation about it this morning. For lifestyle, unlimited earning potential and security sales is the right way to go. The only concern I have is how long it will take for me to increase the sales to the point I'm making the big bucks.
I told Al that I'm as fearful of taking on a commission sales role as he is of doing his first 70.3 Ironman. I know it's irrational, I'm a proven sales person, I've done big numbers in the past and I'm still closing business now. Right now I have $1.4 million in sales which is better than nothing. I'd really like to get to $10 million or more, then I'd be making BIG BUCKS.
It's just a weird feeling knowing it's all me, I'm going to have to get focused and work hard, it's like a start up. I used to work really hard earlier in my sales career and for the most part enjoyed it, once I get the numbers up there it should be real fun. I guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions that this is going to happen until I get my deal with Wayne and Rino finalized.
Tonight Alyssa, Alice and I went for dinner at The Black Swan, a new restaurant that opened down the street. It's an English style pub and was excellent, I'd give it an overall score of 4.75 stars. The food was great and excellent service. Good menu. We'll definitely be back.
The rest of the night was hanging out and watching TV in my compression tights and relaxing and hoping tomorrow won't be raining and not too cool, I need to do a long bike ride. Twenty days until IMSG.
Long Run - 2:39:47 / 28.62 km / 5:35 pace / 139 avg hr

3 comments:
20days! Nice Run
Im with you on the all commision sale role fear...I made the internal switch two years ago within our company to an all incentive position. Was more scary than hitting submit on that IM registration page - haha
D
Glad you are coming to that realization that it won't be all bad. Hopefully this takes a lot of pressure off your shoulders for IMSG.
Keep up the good work man!
D, haha, sooooo true, haha.
M, thanks bro.
B
Post a Comment