Thursday, March 31, 2011

Life in the drunk lane...

The worst part about drinking and having fun is waking up the next morning. I tend to lose my motivation to do things like.....shower. Today was one of those days. I did get up, I did shower, I did force myself to work and I did work.

I actually was brilliant and worked out an awesome rebate program for one of my clients. I then approached Johnny at 1 pm and asked him if he wanted to go have a barley sandwich for lunch. He was too busy, I told him the offer is still good for 10 minutes, I'll be at my desk. He didn't come and I didn't go, I kept working and proudly finished a budget for a new business plan for another division I'm working on.

At 3 pm he appeared at my door, he wanted to know if I still wanted to go for beers. Getty up, I was born ready and it was even sweeter after putting in a solid 5 hours of work. We went to our clubhouse, Jack Astors and had some pints.

Johnny is the best, he's 54 and came with the business when I bought it 7 years ago. He was one of the salespeople and is definitely one of the funniest and always the life of the party type of guy. His wife is a director at The Royal Bank, she's a big wig. Opposites truly do attract, Johnny jokes he's a kept man. His wife is not my most favorite person, she doesn't like me too much either, I think she thinks I have a bad influence on Johnny.

I first really got to know Johnny when he invited me and some of the key people over to his home for a barbecue and a meet and greet. I was the new owner, they didn't know me and I didn't know them. The night started calm and started getting wound up. By the end of the night, Johnny and I drank everyone home, Johnny's wife went to bed, it was 4 am, Ozzy Osbourne was blaring through the outdoor speakers, there was a light rain and Johnny and I decided to go for a skinny dip swim in his pool.

It was all a little bit of a blur, but the next thing I know, dragon lady appears and was not impressed. I guess the music woke her up, it was late, it was a week night, they live in an exclusive area, the homes around them are worth millions of dollars and she sees Johnny and I in the pool with 9 irons above our heads as we treaded water and it's raining and thundering out. I think we were doing some sort of Benjamin Franklin experiment.

That's my first experience with Johnny and his first experience with me. I doubt many other companies are introduced to their new boss that way. It was a match made in hell. Since that night, Johnny and I have had many a night of drunken debauchery. None of us have a governor when it's just the two of us. Johnny has a governor when his wife is there. Did I tell you she hates me.

If Johnny was my neighbour it would be all bad. At least having Jamie as a neighbour he's responsible and can shut it down, Johnny wouldn't be able to. AND Johnny is highly entertaining, his one liners are awesome. He's definitely a brother from another mother and his hundreds of stories of near death drunken experiences are incredible.

I knew I wasn't going to train today, I felt it. It was shitty weather, rainy, cold and I was unmotivated and felt it would be best that I just continue drinking and get it out of my system before heavy training this weekend.

I emailed Jamie and he came over for beers and cigars. It was too much fun, as always. Lots of laughs. Then Jamie called Barb to come pick him up. He lives exactly 500 meters away. He drove over and called Barb to walk over and drive him home. Poor Barb, the best line I heard through the phone when she was talking to him was "Your Gay". She's a trooper, next thing I know the door bell rings and it's Barb. She had to get out of her toasty position, ready to relax and watch her shows and then the Bat Signal goes up and she's got to go get him.

Jamie came with his computer and wanted me to help him get set up on Twitter. Which we did. Poor guy, now he's going to eat up and waste so much more of his time. If you want to follow him, he's @jamie140

The Grants are earlier risers and it's weird, when they leave you think it's the end of the night and then you look at the clock and it's only 10 pm. It's like time travelling back.

The rest of the night was family night, Alyssa joined us for a while and Reid hung out for the entire time. We had fun is all I remember, I think I gave Reid some advice, I can't remember. He really wants a dog, I told him if he walks Jamie and Barbs dog for 30 days straight and picks up the dog crap everyday he could get one. Problem is I don't have full authority to make that bet, there is no way Alice will let him get a dog.

Alice is dead set against it. She's had dog's and knows the work they are and how they cramp your flexibility of doing what you want, when you want. John Barclay says he won't ever get a dog again and he loves his dog, it's his son. I think Alice is so dead against a dog that if Reid was blind, she'd be against him getting a seeing eye dog. Just kidding, in that circumstance she would. He's her baby boy bear.

In fact, the other day momma bear took care of baby bear in the doctors office. She took Reid in to get a wart froze off, they've been going every week. The nurse let her and Reid into the room to wait for the doctor and told Reid to take his socks off and left.

Reid took off his sock and it stunk the room up, it was disgusting and his feet were sweaty. They were laughing and if the doctor walked in it would be a little embarrassing with the smell. Alice jumped into action and with quick thinking saw the Purrell dispenser and started bathing Reid's feet in Purrell, then wiped them up, just before the doctor came in.

The night ended with me drunk tweeting and eating my dinner. There's a few people on twitter that get under my skin, one is a women teacher from British Columbia, they always have these holier than now tweets. This one referred to me a juvenile. I give her a poke but nothing to serious, she's a teacher, they tend to be imbalanced and fragile, need I say more.

Picture of the day is Jamie from last night. That pose then reminded me of another picture I took of my brother in law about 3 or 4 years ago. Is it something I said?

No Training - Liquid Carbo Loading.


March Totals 
Swim - 12.4 km
Bike - 555.59 km
Run - 114.81 km
Weights - 5 sessions
Total - 682.80 km
Calories - 31766
Hours - 38.78
(Calf Injury)

3 comments:

Matty O said...

HAHAHA, all I can say is that you appear to be back to normal since you took off your granny panties and started having fun again.

You seemed to pressure yourself hard core the last couple months and you weren't even drinking.

Glad you are back.

Dogs are a lot of work... but I would gladly have them, they are a lot of fun :)

Man, my mama bear didn't even like me nearly as much as Reid's mama bear. So that's what it's like to have a family huh? Man did I get the short end of the stick there haha.

Glad you are enjoying life again, much easier to read these posts since they are not covered in doom and gloom.

have a great weekend man!

DRog said...

I like Alice's thinking on the dog!

lol@ you and Johnny...def a great thing ur not neighbors.

time travelling back - hahaha !!!

Bryan said...

M, thanks, I am starting to have fun again, good call. When you say you got the short end of the stick, did you mean with your mom, or that you really did get a short stick. hahaha.

D, glad you enjoyed. haha.

B