Simple overview of my day. Productive day at work, unproductive day training. Unless you consider rest good training, then I had a very productive day training as well.
My day started with a 2-hour phone conversation with a psychologist to review my Interpersonal & Communication style assessment. The one I paid $950 for. It was a good review, I had about 8 pages of notes and it pretty much nailed me bang on.
The big question was "what career path should I take". The answer was, "with you're profile you can do anything, it's basically what will you find the easiest and most enjoyable". He did say that based on the results I'm not prepared to sacrifice my personal life for career. I didn't need the test to tell me that, I worked those 16 hour days and weekends in the past, no more.
He did say that in a sales role I'm best at selling big ticket items that have repeat business and is more of an optimistic sale, essentially people want it. Selling insurance or funeral plots is not an optimistic sale.
Over our conversation he reaffirmed everything I knew and the direction I wanted to take, he thought it was wise. At the end, I asked him "overall, based on my score over others that take the test, what percentile would you put me?". He said, "at least in the top 10%, you're VERY capable, companies would love to have you work for them". That was a good ego boost and I said, "cool, that's what I thought too, it's good to see I'm not delusional".
The rest of the day was marketing strategy and putting budget numbers to it. I was thinking of going to the Y but was on too much of a roll work wise and figured I'd go later.
At the end of the day I went back to the physiotherapist and she worked a little more on my calf, it appears most of the problem is gone, just some residual. She suggested I go for my hour plus run tomorrow and thinks it should be fine. With those words, I decided not to do my 3:15 moderate bike ride tonight. For two reasons, the first was I wanted to rest the calf and the second was I just didn't want to ride inside. Coming off a 5:15 ride and then going into a 3:15 basement ride indoors was too much for me to handle. I'll make up for it later in the week, hopefully outside, even if it's cold.
The night was spent wasting time on twitter and cleaning up who I follow. I got rid of pretty much most of the people that are not into Ironmans or running. And if I get full again, I'll go back and eliminate the single sport runners, cyclists or swimmers. I can honestly say, I started as a runner, as most of us do and I'm proud to say I'm a triathlete, I could never go back to the single discipline of running again. I did it for a brief period getting ready for the NYC marathon and it didn't feel right. Even at the NYC marathon I didn't feel like I belonged.
I tried not to follow many pro's, other than the main ones. I don't care about them. Give me a P.F.G. that is doing there first sprint and I want to follow them. There's at least some interaction, not idolization. Although I am following Macca and Chrissie and of course Lance.
I did snack tonight, I'm so looking forward to the hypnotist. Weight is still down to a decent level.
Oh, I took a picture of my shoulder, I don't know what happened, if it was rubbing during my bike ride or a recent run with my shirt or if I bumped into something. It definitely happened Saturday night, maybe I feel or bumped into something in my drunken stupor. Either was it was a bit nasty. I noticed from the photo, I still have my Kona tan somewhat intact.
No Training - Physical and mental rest.
187.8 lbs
Below is a piece of history, a propaganda film from World War Two about the Japanese, I thought it was interesting to look back at what mind set and marketing techniques was used back then. Stuff we could never get away with. The last minute of the film has some gory shots for those that like that sort of stuff or want to watch a real person get shot execution style.
7 comments:
For you, the phrase "wasting time on Twitter" is an understatement. I think they've got a whole server dedicated just for you. :D
Good stuff with the job hunt. I remember spending 3mo before I landed the one I'm in now. Learned a lot about myself, my goals, and the difference between "strengths" and "abilities." Invaluable.
I concurr - I prefer following those new to the sport or PFG over the pros. Much more exciting!
It looks like Alice was getting a bit rough with you last night - maybe have her cut her nail first next time?
Pros are on twitter?
So you wasted all that money for someone to tell you, "You can do whatever you want and will be good at it".
MY GOODNESS are you an idiot? I need money, I will make up a test for you and send me half of what you just blew on that scam artist and I will give you honest results LOL.
Sheesh man, sounds like you just wanted to hear a "professional" tell you that you are doing the right thing. Whatever happened to the challenge and the thrill of not knowing if this is the right move?
Hope the calf is fixed up. Make sure you go back in as soon as it acts up again so it doesn't get to that point... 3 day leg spasm geez, reminds me of my 3 day boners! I often go in to get those massaged out too.
At first on twitter I followed celebs and pros but I eventually ditched them, even Chrissie and Lance because I wasn't learning anything more about them than I would in an interview. Now you, Matty, John, Rodney, there's some funny stuff.
One day I'll double check to make sure you didn't unfollow me BUT it would take ages to find. When you said you cleaned up I thought you really made some cuts but it appears you still follow loads of people.
When is your appt with the hypnotist? I'm dying to hear more about this, can you tell.
First thing I did was check my paltry Twitter account to see if I've been un-followed!! Glad to say I still make your grade, at least for now! I haven't had much time for twitter but I should get back on the horse and keep up to date. I wouldn't follow pros either, but rather stick with PFG's.
Not related, but when I volunteered at IMFL last year, the people that sprinted to the swim cutoff or the ones barely making it back before 17:00 are the ones who made the hair on the back of my neck stand. Felt the same way when I watched a marathon last summer. To me, those people are the real heroes of our sport.
Keep up the good work on the psycho analysis.
I agree - looks like Alice whipped you something good - maybe you fell asleep tired at the most inopportune time??
I agree long trainer rides suck. I did break down and buy an xbox last weekend to try to learn Call Of Duty (Modern Warfare Two) so I could play it with my son. I had a 4 hour ride Sunday and the time flew by as I died hundreds of time. The workout quality wasn't quite as good, but the time flew by.
C, yup, twitter-holic. haha. On the job front, it's not a hunt, pretty much a negotiation. If they don't go well, then it will be a hunt. I prefer the former. I totally agree on your patient approach.
J, I wish she was. haha.
M, yup, wasted money. haha. I'm getting too old to make a wrong move, although I should have done this when I was younger but it was "old bull young bull years".
Three day boners? I didn't think you could fantazie about men that long. haha
A, I would never unfollow you, too much fun. You sure do want to know about that Hypnotist don't yah. haha
D, nope your safe on twitter. THanks for the support. I knew I shouldn't have got her that cat of 9 tails. haha.
M, good on your for the x box, I've tried it and I'm the worst, guess I'm too old. I want pong back. Like the idea "time flew by". haha.
B
Post a Comment