Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Anxiety...

I woke up this morning, the sun was out and I should have went for a ride. Instead I decided to get to work for the second straight day in a row at 9 am. The problem was by the time I got home from work it was miserable out, cold and then wet.

During the day I got a lot done and at 1 pm had a phone conference call with the guys who want me to start an online yearbook company with them. I haven't yet told them that I'm out and staying with AG. I figured I'd wait and let them down easy and was thinking there may still be a way for me to participate and stay at AG. Then a bombshell hit.

I used to have an email address for the yearbook company I sold. The new owners are a yearbook company. A couple months ago they got an email from Tom regarding a consulting agreement. Tom is one of the guys I was looking at starting this new yearbook company with. It caused all sorts of problems. The president of the yearbook company that bought my business called and asked what was up. I do have a non compete in Canada and he was concerned. I told him it was discussions for the U.S and regardless I'm going to stay with AG.

Then during yesterday's conversation Tom tells me he sent me the projections two weeks ago. I tell him I didn't get them. He checks and realizes he sent it to the old yearbook email again. Doh. This isn't even a minor Doh, this is major. It's so incredibly detailed down to selling prices, volume projections, everything. You name it, it's there. I couldn't even get mad, I was sick to my stomach and was thinking what are the repercussions. I personally got my money from the yearbook purchase, however the other partners are still waiting on money. More concerning was if the yearbook company called Wayne at AG and mentioned something.

It was just something I didn't need. If Wayne called me I'd say it was an opportunity I was looking at the same time we were talking and decided to go with AG. I'm not pursuing that deal and if he asks if I told them I'd just say not yet, but planned to at the right time and am committed to you. The other deal would pay me $200,000 but is more risky. I can't tell you how much anxiety came over me after that meeting. Possible repercussions from AG or the yearbook company kept going through my mind. It took every piece of wind out of my sails. I did a lot of self talk to clear my head.

When I got home, I was stressed, exhausted, semi-sick, I still have a sore throat and it was crappy weather outside. There was no way I was riding. I just wanted to fall asleep and get better. The long weekend was insane and I'm still paying for it. I thought the sore throat was too many cigars. Now I realize I'm run down. I so much too want to get back to regular training AND more importantly I want some warm weather, the weather has been horrible and depressing.

Instead of training, even though I was exhausted and near falling asleep behind the wheel, I went to pick up a new Keg. It takes a couple days for it to get to 0 C and I wanted it to be ready by the weekend. I went to Hamilton, a bit of a drive but they have fresh and very cold kegs. I get there and their fork lift is broken and they can't get the kegs off the shelf. Then I went to Burlington and they were out of Coors light. Then I called Oakville and they had two kegs left.

Before driving to Oakville I stopped at the mall to get new shoes. My skateboarder style shoes are getting really dirty and beat up and with me going to NYC tomorrow for a trade show I thought I should look my best and get a new pair of shoes. I must have visited 25 stores and tried on 15 pairs of shoes. None where perfect and I settled on a pair of Nikes. The young sales guy also convinced me to get the rubber cleaner and protectant.

He was showing me how good the cleaner worked and I had him demo on my old shoes. Damn if it didn't work good. When I got home Reid started to make fun of me and told me that they always try to push those cleaning products and that soap and a toothbrush work just as well. He then got his old muddy shoes and did a test, soap and water and tooth brush versus my cleaning products. Results, no real difference. To show the stuff worked I cleaned my old shoes and they looked brand new. In fact I decided not to wear my new Nikes and take them back to find better shoes. Actually now I don't need new shoes in any hurry. Who would have know I only needed a little cleaning. Reid certainly didn't let up on me one bit for about an hour.

Nick, the pinball wizard was to come to my place at 8 pm to pick up my machine to take it for a semi-restoration. It was pissing rain and I didn't think he was going to show and was getting ready to go to Staples to pick up a briefcase for the trade show and the doorbell rang, it was Nick. Glad I hadn't left. He came downstairs and looked at the machine and said it was in pretty good shape and I went through all the issues. He pointed out some stuff and even played a game with the pre amble, "I've never played this game" and then went on to casually, as he was talking to Reid and I, ring up the second highest score. It should be expected coming from a guy that has 40 pinball machines in his house.

Reid and I helped him wrap it in plastic and move it. Bad move on my part. I bent down to lift it and bam, my knew was hurting. On yesterday's run it started hurting and went away after a stretch. I've been very lucky over the years to have no knee problems, this is bothersome when it happens two days in a row. I think I'm going to lay off some of the leg weight training and focus on more upper body. I will say it sure damn hurt, especially climbing stairs.

I'm hoping to get to bed early, I need to get up at 4 am to get to pick up Al and get to the Buffalo Airport for our 6:37 am flight.

2 comments:

Matty O said...

Damn you are a mess lately. Chalk that day up as crap.

The whole email debacle, that is pure misery man. So sad that it kind of unfolded like that. hopefully the email went to some instant delete box or something haha.

Keep your head up man, take a few deep breaths and relax.

Tomorrow is a new day!

Bryan said...

M, yup feel like a mess. Thanks for the props.

B