Thursday, May 26, 2011
I'm dying...
Turns out I only got about 3 hours of good sleep. I had to get up at 4 am to pick Al up and fly out of Buffalo to NYC for the Book Expo America. It was a day trip, in and out same day. Never fails I only got a light sleep and dreamt the entire night about our pinball machine.
The alarm went off at 4 am and I didn't hesitate to get up, I was afraid if I hit the snooze. Got to Al's place at 5 am and made to the airport in perfect time. NYC was awesome weather about 26 C and high humidity. The show was somewhat disappointing. You can tell the Book Publishing Industry is not thriving like it used to. However, with that said it was a very beneficial trip. Al and I walked the entire show and stopped at booths to get leads and contact information. In the process we were able to figure out the hot buttons and what publishers were really interested in. We now have the verbiage we need to use and some targeted publishing groups.
During the show Al bumped into my dad. I was talking to someone at a booth and Al was waiting down the aisle for me. They exchanged pleasantries and Al mentioned he was here with me and that we had finished visiting that one side and were now moving over to this side. I was curious if I was going to run into him before the show and I'm glad we didn't meet face to face, I don't think it would have been comfortable or pretty from my side. I would have probably just ignored him and walked by or looked away. I now feel very comfortable with my thoughts towards him and after nearly a year I've been able to go a day or two without thinking about the situation.
Our flight out was at 6:30 pm and by 12:30 pm we were done the show and didn't miss anything. In only 2 hours we got everything done, completely unanticipated. Before we left to the airport to catch an earlier flight home we noticed there was another trade show at the bottom of the Javits Center. We thought at first it was part of the Book Expo. It turned out to be Blog World and although they only had about 40 booths the swag was flowing. Each booth is Venture Capital based and was giving out everything from Shirts, Pens, even food and beer. Al got 7 shirts, I got 5. The coolest one that I wanted but they didn't have my size was the Yahoo purple shirts. I even got my picture taken with Cloris Leishman, kinda, if you consider a photo shop sort of thing the same.
Essentially we snuck into this show and when they asked about what blogs we have I didn't lie, I have training payne and the one for work. I could definitely talk the talk and knew what they were talking about. The best was when we saw a buffet line opening up. It was a nice spread of cooked on site pasta and stuff like that. We at first thought you had to pay for it and then realized it was free, we were one of the first in line waiting for the food to be served. It was unbelievable. Then we ate more when the o'dourvers where served around the show floor. I've never been to a show that gave so much stuff, including a buffet lunch. In the process we saved AG money and didn't have to expense a lunch.
We were in no rush, and figured we had plenty of time to catch the 3:45 pm earlier flight. Turns out we got to the airport early enough to catch the even earlier 2:55 pm flight. Bonus. It meant that I'd get home by 6:30 pm and still be able to stop at my U.S. post office box and pick up my 9 packages. One of them included my $189 cigar humidifier to keep my cigars at the perfect humidity.
I told Al he has to come into this post office box place, the people are a riot. The minute I walked in and mentioned my name, workers I didn't ever meet, started giving me a bad time. They had my stuff in storage, my neighbours daughter was supposed to pick up my stuff last Saturday and they had it ready and she didn't show. I apologized. As a side bar I have no reason why she didn't show, it's about 2 miles from the border and the only thing I could think of is she's a very irresponsible 20 year old. She drinks my beer, smokes my cigars and doesn't deliver when I ask her to do something so simple.
Al and I had fun opening the boxes, emptying them, cutting up the bubble wrap and breaking down the boxes. If you take the items out of the boxes the company has a whole process you have to follow for recycling. It was a lot of fun with the staff. Al asked me to show them my Borat Man-kini and the ladies wanted me to send pictures. Al and I also decided to sneak the stuff across the border and to avoid any taxes or duties. We took everything out of the boxes and arranged them in the truck like they've been there for a long time. It worked, we kept a straight face and near flew through the border into rainy Ontario.
NYC was great weather, Buffalo was great weather and we cross the border and bam
Although I'm not pigging out, the weekend has also increased my weight. I feel bloated and even when I wipe my eyes all I feel is burning salt. Reid was sick and home from school yesterday, I chalked that up to the cigars after school the night before. My sickness is from too much beer, cigars and late nights. I also feel crappy and have higher than normal anxiety from not training regularly. The weather sucking doesn't help, I'm now a fair weather rider. Too many long trainer and cold rides this year and last.
When I got home I made the worse looking french toast for dinner. It was all I could think of eating. Alyssa was laughing about how bad it looked. She also wasn't impressed when I showed her my 3 x 5 foot Amstel Light flag that I want to get a pole for and put up in the back yard. I told her I want to use it to see what direction the wind is blowing before I go out for a ride. She's not impressed and it sounds like she'll fight it. Not sure why, maybe because it would be beside her garden. The flag cost me .99 cents on EBay.
Time to pull the horns in doesn't say enough of what I need to do. I've got a conference call to interview a life / business coach tomorrow and find out what they do and what they charge. I'm getting to old for this.
No Training - Sick
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Your Ironman Lake Placid countdown is starting to unnerve me a little. The numbers are not too dissimilar to my Ironman Korea countdown! Mmmm! Oh well ay!
By the way, with the conflicts in your business don't you think it would make sense all round to clear the air with everyone and let them know where you stand? Your potential partners will get over it, your old company will be happy and you wont get sued and you current bosses won't have any surprises that may undermine their confidence in you.
The beauty of this is that your stress instantly goes out the window and you'll have even more focus and positive energy to grow your sales network.
I'm sensing there's more too it than meets the eye but based on what you've said the solution is simple, straight forward and win win for everyone, even your potential partners as they're not being strung along any more.
PS Alyssa is right, the Amstel Light flag in the back garden would be the lamest thing ever. Put it on the wall in the P&W by all means but dude, on a flag pole outside, you've got to be kidding me.
If you're gonna put a beer flag outside at least make it something 'ard like "Flying Dog, Tire Bite Beer" but Amstel Light, come on, REALLY!
Hilarious post. You and Al did what I did in college, go to the expo you are supposed to, realize its lame, see another expo and go plunder it!
Man, Al needs to put some weight back on! He is looking too skinny.
Nice job on the merchandise hahaha. You are hilarious.
I'm with Simon. It's like hanging a 'Baccardi Breezer' flag.
Man, I don't know how you go to NYC, casually run into your dad, and not say hello. I get the history, and I'm not judging because I never lived it, but can you bury the hatchet? I guess you've already said you've moved on and it's fine for you. But that moment would have been weird for me. Anyway, know you've dealt with it and more power to ya.
Enjoy the P&W this weekend!
B
Haha, you're so Funny.
You are right that French toast look bad, just like dog food. I'm with Simon on the flag, get a real beer flag,
J
S, I'm not worried, I got a great base. Korea, wow, not a place I'd like to be but at least you'll feel tall. haha. I'm not going to do anything on the biz side, it will all work out and take care of itself, I'm not doing anything wrong. i do agree it will be easier with just one focus. And just for that, the amstel flag will be flying high. haha. This coming from a guy that wants his beer to taste like a "Sweater". haha
M, it was fun.
D, Baccardi Breezer....thanks for the idea. haha. I didn't run into him, he ran into Al, we didn't cross paths. It's telling that he didn't want to know where I was and come over and say hi. It still grinds me, until he calls and apologizes I'm not going out of my way to talk to him.
J, haha, it was fun.
B
Post a Comment