Saturday, May 28, 2011

Upping the dosage...




Felt like crap this morning. The one amazing upside was my sore throat was gone and I felt healthy again. How does that happen? It's not like I rested last night. I could hardly function this morning, it was one of those hangover mornings that required two Advil's out of the gate.

I was also so damn hungry. Alice asked if I wanted some bacon, eggs and toast. Great minds think alike, it was the one thing I was craving. I felt so tired I had to go lie down while she was making it and then when it was ready I went back upstairs and ate it in bed and sleep some more. I was a train wreck.

Prior to going up to the room I was thinking about my mind being a little out of control and what I should do. There is one drug I have in my cupboard called Risperidone, it's an anti psychotic. I took it only once for a very brief period about 6-years ago when I first got medical help for bipolar and it brings you down to reality quickly. I've always thought it was a miracle drug. I started reading about it and it said the side effects is weight gain, which got me double thinking and then I realized, "I don't need this, I can just up my current medication".

Prior to my getting into Ironman my daily dosage was higher. As I trained I found I didn't need as much and in consultation with my doctor slowly brought it down to 225 mg. It was at 300 mg. The reason was that exercise changes the brain chemistry and the benefits mean less drugs required. This morning I got thinking that perhaps the problem is that because of the less training since IMSG and even before that, is it possible that my brain chemistry is out of balance now and I should increase my current medications to even it all out. So that's what I did. I guess it didn't help either that I forgot to take my lamictal yesterday. I'm going to slowly move it up to 275 mg and monitor.

It's not something I need to discuss with a doctor, I've been here before. The one thing with bipolar and medication is it is not a science, it's an art. It's not uncommon for people to spend months or years to get the right medication and dosage working for them and then find something changes and they have to start all over again. In my case I found the medication and dosage that worked for me relatively quickly, I was lucky. Now I'll just play around with the dosage and see how it works and if it does then I'll have to tell my doctor and have a new prescription done. I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier.

After my snooze I got on the bike for my long ride. I was a little concerned about my sore left knee. In the beginning of the ride it wasn't giving me too many problems. The weather still sucks. Grey and only about 16 C. The entire ride I was sweating like a mad man. At one point as I was riding into the wind I thought it was raining, it wasn't, it was the sweat coming off the top of my helmet blowing into my face in drops, seriously. The last time I sweat the entire ride like that was at Lake Placid with Doru and I drank a lot of beer the night before.

I was relatively happy with the ride. I would have like to have gone on longer but at about 1:44 into the ride my knee was starting to bother me, it was crappy and cool outside and getting later out and I decided that a 100 km ride would be a good start after not riding long for two weeks. Overall I was really pleased with the ride, with all things considered I still averaged over 30 kph which is really good, especially considering I wasn't a 100% today from last night.

The only major downside to my entire ride was I felt on my seat and almost started to cry it hurt so much. I stopped at a stop sign, there was a girl with the nicest motorcycle I've ever seen, I gave her the thumbs up on the bike and then when I got ready to ride across the street on of my clipless pedals didn't clip in and I slipped and literally my A-hole fell directly onto the nose of my super hard carbon fibre seat. I can't tell you how much pain I was in, I was near tears. With every turn of the pedal I was hurting. I had only about 7 km left to get home and didn't know if I could do it. I started playing mental games and telling myself that the pain would be temporary, that blood was being sent to heal, all while trying to find a comfortable position on my seat. Thankfully after about 5 minutes the pain subsided. I can't stress enough how much that hurt.

When I got home I felt like a new man. I was relaxed and mentally felt awesome. It's amazing what exercise can do. If anything I felt even better and more energetic exercising than stretching and cooling down. I felt so good I would never have thought I was partying the night before. I felt that fresh.

After stretching (which for some reason I'm much more flexible with less training) and showering, I barbecued steaks on the charcoal barbecue. It was awesome, to me the inside was the best I've ever done. Beautiful red and it melted in your mouth, very little chewing required. Alyssa and Alice liked my propane steaks better, Alyssa didn't like the charcoal / wood taste. My neighbour was at the window when I started the barbecue and yelled to her family in the family room, "Bryan's using the smoker again" and looked at me and I laughed and gave her the hang loose sign. There's nothing like having a beer as you barbecue so I asked Reid to get me one and he thought it would be funny to bring it to me in a little glass. I was surprised he was able to pour that little from the kegerator without making a mess.

The rest of the night was Alice and I sitting in the Pig & Whistle watching the UFC 130 pay per view. It was one of the better ones, I'd give it a 7 on 10. I didn't get to crazy, we enjoyed ourselves and got to bed by 12:33 am. Alice is pushing for us to get to bed at a respectable hour so we can enjoy the mornings. She doesn't have to push me to hard, I'm in. That's were I'm jealous of Jamie and Barb, they shut it down earlier and get to bed earlier. When I grow up I want to be just like them.

On one of my pictures of the day you'll see my seat and under the seat my spare tubulars. The guys at the shop did a great job moving them from behind the water bottle holder and putting them under the seat attached to the post. They also used some electrician tape and folded them in such a way that the straps mostly touch the rubber and not the sides. It is very cool. I wished I thought of that. Hopefully now I won't have spares that get sidewall damage from the straps rubbing on them. Love the look of it.

What I don't like the look of is my noticeably hairy legs, time to shave. I was thinking that when you know your post race rest is over, it's when you can start seeing the hair on your legs again.

Long Bike - 3:19:29 / 100.77 km / 30.3 km avg / 140 bpm avg hr

2 comments:

Matty O said...

Nice ride man. I agree with the exercise and the mental power behind it.

You don't find it the least bit funny that you saw a hot girl and immediately took the seat up the ass? Homo. HAHAHA!

Bryan said...

M, thanks. Man I got to tell you, I don't know how homo's do it, it hurt. haha

B