Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Sweating all night...
Last night I woke up at 3:13 am in the morning and was sweating a lot. I even had to go downstairs and drink two big glasses of water, my mouth was so dry. I guess my body was trying to purge itself of the long weekend. Before bed I convinced myself tomorrow is a new day and I'm going to get back on track, I was going to write down some rules of engagement and maybe even talk to some people that are life coaches to get more information.
This morning I woke up after one of the best sleeps of my life with the sorest throat ever. The reason the sleep was so good was because the dreams were good and I self-talked myself the entire night about straightening up. I learnt not that long ago that it is really self-hypnotism talking to yourself in such a restful state. I realized I need to get back to a routine and I don't want to set myself back to far on the training and weight side. I've already lost much of my great cycling speed, I think.
My first goal is to get to work by 9 am and put in a good 5 hours daily, no less than 3. That should be more than enough to reach all my goals. It's been a while since I've gotten really work focused and in the last year I feel somewhat semi-retired. This past little spending spree has got me motivated to get back and make sure I bring home the bacon.
I managed to get to work near 9 am and even though my body was still burning up I managed to get lots of work done. I was going back and forth on some quotes with Shutterfly and giving 100% customer service that he mentioned he was telling the major decision makers he's giving me an A +. I made sure I played the politics and forwarded that comment to Rino and Wayne. I'm also on them for other sales related stuff. Even though I'm working I want to give them a comfort level that I'm working even harder than I am. I'm based on result and I will get them, it's just that I think for peace of mind I have to play the game.
I also contacted a life coach via email and am waiting back, she's a recommendation from Derek (Coupleofhounds), a blog follower. He gave it to me a long time ago. I also started writing a list of my new life rules. Once I finish them I'll post them. I want to spend a day thinking about them first.
Today was a special day, Alyssa had a University event where she picked up a couple of awards. She made it on the deans list and she was tied for the highest score in her psychology classes with a 93.5%. Even with that she felt she could have done better, she didn't study that much.
The award ceremony was the best I've ever been too and first class. They had it held in a converted church and everything was planned perfectly. They even had food and it was awesome. The professors were great and you felt that they treated the students like equals. It turns out that the highest mark in the psychology program is no light weight award, it's the top one. I wished I would have recorded the guy who handed it out talk about it's significance. It was no small speech. Even after the ceremony William Glassman whom the major award is named after made a point to go out of his way and introduce himself to Alyssa.
His bio is I taught at Ryerson from 1974 until 2006, when I took early retirement. I am currently involved in a variety of projects, from a 5th edition ofApproaches to Psychology (with my co-author, Marilyn Hadad), to writing a novel (a suspense thriller), to volunteering with a variety of charities.
It's amazing how well Alyssa is doing and it seems that her current thoughts are to get into the research aspect of psychology. I personally think she made an awesome choice going into psychology, it's such an emerging field and anything to do with the human psyche can be applied to so many careers.
When we got home the house smelt like cigar smoke. I was surprised, Alice is great at getting the smell of cigar smoke from the house and especially a day later it was still bad. Then I thought, "Reid, did he have a cigar while we were gone?" I asked him and he said "Yes, I was watching True Grit, what a long movie and I had a cigar while watching it". I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I can't blame him, I didn't establish any rules. Gently I said "we need to establish some rules, you can't have a cigar without my permission or being with me". I really did create a monster. I'm now in the process of reversing it. Damn I thought that was funny.
During Alyssa's graduation I was emailing back with Jamie on the offers he was getting on his house. They put it up for sale 5 days ago and had 180 people go through and weren't accepting offers until tonight. They priced the house below market value and it created a lot of interest. They ended up getting 6 offers and sold it for over $40,000 more than asking. When we got home he invited Alice and I over to celebrate with him and Barb over champagne. I really didn't want to drink, but this was a special occasion and life's to short not to celebrate their good fortune.
It was a little more than champagne, it was 3 of the booze groups for me. Two shots of tequila (which I rarely drink), champagne and beer. Thankfully I had a good training session today and that helped in it being guilt free.
I was really nervous to run today after about 12 cigars this weekend and a major sore throat. Turns out I had a fantastic run, it was 18 km and averaged 5:00 average per kilometer and had no side effects of the booze or cigars. It felt really good to run in the afternoon in the sunshine. The only downside was I forgot to wear my heart rate monitor and didn't know the numbers, it felt easy. Actually their was one other downside, I had to stop and run into the bushes to take a download and it wasn't solid.
My stomach was rumbling and I was on Upper Middle which is a busy two lane major thru fare. There is not many bushes along that route and houses behind a big fence back on to it. I had no choice, I had to go and spotted on bush and had a limited time to do my business before traffic left on of the lights coming my way. I finished and realized I can't run without a wipe and looked around for some sort of paper. None found. Then I realized leaves will work and stripped down much of the leafs on the tree. Thank you tree, you're a life savour and the stoppage on the run was definitely from this weekends festivities.
Mod Run - 1:30:30 / 18.02 km / 5:00 avg km pace
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





6 comments:
Congratulations to Alissa.
Hahahaha... on the rest of the post. I think that is hilarious Reid's smoking your quality cigars. "Thanks Dad, for introducing me to a the world of fine cigars, that I now love to smoke and won't have to pay for. Your the best Dad", hahahaha.
We forget just how important trees can be to us in many many ways, lol. Later Bob.
List of life rules - that'll be interesting and no doubt useful for many of us. I already have a list that I ignore - probably should resurrect it. haha
Totally awesome Alyssa - big respect. Especially considering your gene pool challenges (on your father's side at least haha).
Great result for Jamie, well done dude, congrats.
Too much "download" information.
BP,
Big shout out to Alyssa, really fantastic performance.
Agree with Simon, too much info on the roadside download. Suppose you cold say you turned over a new leaf....only because you needed the other side!! Haha! Later, Sully!
Nice one from Sully! HAHA!
Props to Alyssa! She's doing great and reminds me of Alanis in these pics.
You are lucky (or skilled?) you can get away with 5 hours work per day. I wish....guess it just tells you I take 2x as long to produce results, haha! So, you're fast on the bike and even faster in the office haha!
Hope everything works out with the life coach.
Dude I hear he is even faster in the bedroom LOL!
First off congrats to Alyssa, that is nothing to be made light of. But I do have a problem with what you said in there... "The award ceremony was the best I have ever been to and first class" Bryan, I am pretty sure this is the ONLY award ceremony you have ever been too haha!
Yeah, you need to pull the reigns in on Reid pretty quick.
I have had some issues with mid run downloads the past few weeks (when I have been running). Leaves work great... I just hate trying to hide from the cars so I don't get an indecent exposure arrest haha.
Get your shit together man, your bender was a little much this time around!!!
B, thanks she did great. Yup I created a monster. Now they will be lost, taken and cost me a fortune.
S, rules coming on future post. Thanks about Alyssa. Be serious, the download info turned you on. haha
S, yup she did great. haha on the new leaf comment.
D, thanks on Alyssa. 5 hours, I can get away with 5 hours a week or less. haha. At least your faster than me in the bedroom. haha.
M, thanks on alyssa. haha on my award cermemony experience. True on the bender.
B
Post a Comment