This morning I started my preparations for my post IMSG summer, I got my bar rail professionally installed. I was originally going to do it myself and after stripping the first screw and the mounting bracket not resting on the floor properly I decided to pay the extra $400 and have the pro's do it.
I'm glad I didn't do it myself. Had I, the height of the rail would have been too low, it still would have looked good, but it would have been too low, at least according to Jamie. Alice and Barb agreed with him, they over powered me. Although I am smart enough to take their advice so when I called the installers I asked them to bring a different style of bracket that will lift the bar much higher and Alice liked this one because it didn't rest on the floor. Easier for cleaning and if Alice is happy about her cleaning, I'm happy about her cleaning.
The guys were great and took no time to do it. They even had tools and glues that I would never have thought of using. I still wasn't sure if it was too high after they were done, they along with Alice said it looked better and is more functional. I sent a picture to Jamie, he liked it. Then the big test. Al Nolan dropped by, we were heading to a work meeting together, he tried it and loved it. Thought the height was perfect, he's 6' 4". I was finally semi-sold, I'll be really sold that first night I have beers down their and my legs on the bar feel great.
Prior to the guys arriving I was at my dentist, he put in the super glue for my bridge. Bruce is a great guy who does marathons, he's done about 60 plus, including Boston. I was surprised when I was there last week and he asked when I was going to invite him over to the Pig & Whistle. I never really know the etiquette when it comes to doctor patient relationships. I know some doctors that draw the line. I told Bruce that when I get back I'll invite him, he just lives nearby.
Al and I had our meeting with Wayne and Rino over lunch. It was to discuss our vision and suggestions on setting up the book division. A big part of it was bringing Johnny on board as a CSR, Estimator, Production guy dedicated to books. Johnny is one crazy Mother F#cker and I can hardly wait for the division meetings at the Pig & Whistle. If they allowed alcohol at work, within a year the three of us together would be sharing a dialysis machine I'm sure. It's three work hard, play hard guys. I saw my buddy Ari at AG, he was driving a Maserati. I pulled up, he's a Jewish guy with ADD, always talking on the phone and we spoke briefly about the shitty weather and biking. When I get back, Ari and I are going to hook up for a weekend ride. We did the same thing last year. He's a good dude, I really like his crazy personality. It turns out that Ari also married very well, he's wife's father is an extremely wealthy guy owning all sorts of real estate and sky scrapers in Toronto.
For lunch I had spicy pasta that included Banana peppers. It was just what the doctor ordered. I was getting the sniffles and it helped clean me out. I was also getting tired and run down and even though it was a casual lunch meeting it is intense and you have to be on. It's the first time I've had a boss and I find it's much like going out for lunch with customers. It's not full kissing ass, however it is giving an elevated level of respect. The good thing is both Al and I like Wayne and Rino they are normal guys and decent people. Wayne is as consistent as the day is long. I'm so glad I'm no longer an owner I see him being tugged in every direction and in meeting after meeting. I love the fact that I did that, got the t-shirt and no longer even dream of doing it. If I ever do I really hope those close to me bitch slap me to my senses. I also noticed that a lot of the people are really nice to me at head office and hear that I'm really growing the book side of the business, I like feeling like a rock star. I also think that they can't figure out how this guy dressed like a bum always wearing Ironman is such a hitter. I see the guys in shipping look at me and wonder how he gets away looking worse than them.
When I got home I was tired and thankfully Al passed on having a beer. I would have only had one for sure, I had a haircut appointment 30 minutes after I got home. It's tradition, before ever Ironman I get my hair cut. It's a special occasion. I don't even think I got my hair cut for my wedding or graduation or anything else major in my life, except Ironman. Wait, I did get a hair cut for my first meeting regarding my compensation with Wayne, another important event that helps me pay for Ironman. Beside the hair cutting joint was the tanning salon and I stopped in for my last visit before IMSG.
After another pasta dish for dinner I went up to the bedroom and napped until 8:30 pm. I really needed that and felt much better. The next thing on the agenda was to get ready for IMSG and the first item was to change my tires. I haven't changed them since Kona and they probably have close to 4000 km on them. Tonight was the first night in 20 years that I changed a tubular tire, it seemed much easier 20 years ago.
The idea with a tubular is that the tire and tube are combined and it is easy to remove and put on a new one, I remember doing it in that past and it taking about 2-3 minutes during a race when I flatted. Tonight was different, it took me until midnight to finish. I was going to go to the bike store and have them do it and decided against it for two reasons, I need to know how to do this on the road and what to expect and I didn't want to spend the money, I'm sick of spending so much money at the bike shop.
I used tape for the first tire and glue for the second. The glue is messy. Twenty years ago I used contact cement and it was easy. I watched a You Tube video and learnt to do it properly you need a couple days to stretch the tire on the rim, then put the glue on and let it cure, then put a second coat on. It was a major production. I didn't have the time and put the glue on the wheel and one the tube, let it dry and put it on the rim. The putting of the tire on the rims were tough. I first put it on with no glue to stretch it, then I put it on with glue. It was really tough and by the end of the night my hands were killing me to tough anything. I also took my bike outside and degreased the chain and sprockets, they were caked on with grease.
I'm a little nervous about doing all this before the race and only getting one ride in to test it. Ideally I should have done this a couple of weeks ago and to ensure I did everything right. I guess it wouldn't be a normal Ironman for me if I didn't do something new and risky just before the race. I really hope I put the tire on properly, I really tried to make sure it was centered, it was harder to do than I thought and on one of the videos they scared me that it could cause a wobble, not good for going down hills and they are big in St. George. I did decide not to take my bike in for a tune up, why break what isn't broken.
I had no time to do any packing or shaving. I hoped to shave my legs and body tonight. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day with training and getting packed. As I was waiting for the glue to dry I was looking at my old blog posts to see times and how my weight and training was last year before IMSG. It's very cool to compare the exact same workouts from last year. I follow the same program for every Ironman. I was better on the bike last year, although my final tempo ride and tempo run was slightly faster than last year. My only regret so far is not showing up to Saint George today. Last year I arrived on the Wednesday and had an extra day to acclimatize. This year I wanted to spend less Ironman time and more time vacationing with Alyssa.
Before the night was out I got a call from John Barclay wishing me well for IMSG and saying he was curious to see how I do, I've heard that from a lot of people. Like them I don't know if I'll have a great race, average race or poor race, it is all up in the air. The weird part is I am in good enough shape to do well if all the stars align, big IF.
On the family front Reid sold his drums set for $140 off Kijiji. He's been getting all sorts of emails and phone calls and is right into it. He was asking $180, the guy offered $80 and they settled at $140. He's doing all the negotiation himself. He sold the drums to some old musician grandpa. The guy was trying to pull on Reid's heart strings to get a lower price and Reid said no. Alice says it's funny listening to him on the phone negotiate. I love it, it's great training and he's only 14-years old and I'm letting him do everything including the negotiation himself. The only thing I'm trying to teach him is not to take things personally, business is business.
Now he's trying to sell the punching bag and most of the people calling or emailing are immigrants with poor English. He had one Pakistani family from Brampton, which is nick named Bramp-lediesh for the huge Indian community. The guy could hardly speak English and said he'd pay $140, Reid was asking $170 and would pick it up at 7:30 pm. Reid agreed and waited, at 7:30 pm the phone rang and it was a girl who too couldn't speak good English. She started telling read that the bag looked like it had wrinkles in it. Reid explained it hasn't been used much and the wrinkles were normal, the then went on to tell her that you don't go through the McDonald's drive thru, look at the photo on the ordering board and assume your burger is going to look exactly like the photo's. He was taking no crap and when I heard that I thought that was a brilliant quick comeback. The never did end up showing. It's amazing how many people want Reid to deliver it. I should tell him to tell them it's too hard and big to carry on a skateboard.
I didn't have any hits on my old slot machine so I lower the price to $225 and got an offer for $150. I countered at $175 and I'd throw in the stand. No response. I may be better off and get more money if I get Reid to sell it for me.
No Training - Taper Rest Day
185.4 lbs.
6 comments:
HAHAHAH Love Reid. Great job man, he will be a sales associate in no time man ;)
Yeah we tried selling one of our old boats and guys would email us an tell us to leave it outside so they could stop by and view it on their way home from work and "Don't worry, you don't have to be there" .... uhhhh RIIIIIIGHT.
safe travels buddy. Hope you two have a good time in the mountains and wherever else your trip goes!
feels like years since I have seen a video race report from the Captain!!!!!
Don't forget the captains hat!
Bar looks awesome!! Have at it B at IMSG. I am looking forward to following you. Later, Bob.
Bar rail is perfect.
Good luck in IMSG although you're scaring me about the tyres. I take a new tubular and put glue about every 3inches about 3inches long. Let it cure and then put it on. No second coats, glue on the rim, stretching nonesense, just get on with it. I usually have a good condition used tyre as a spare, that way it's already got glue on it and is stretched thus making for a quick change.
Way to go Reid, what a star.
Bar rail is perfect.
Good luck in IMSG although you're scaring me about the tyres. I take a new tubular and put glue about every 3inches about 3inches long. Let it cure and then put it on. No second coats, glue on the rim, stretching nonesense, just get on with it. I usually have a good condition used tyre as a spare, that way it's already got glue on it and is stretched thus making for a quick change.
Way to go Reid, what a star.
Have a great race in Utah, do your best and leave everything on the road. Other than that, all I can give you is two of the best pieces of advice I ever got. One is from an old physics teacher who doubled as our soccer coach back in Dublin....."do you best and whatever you do, don't make a balls of it!!".
Second is from my best friend who passed away two years ago. "Whatever you do, always remember the worst you can do is fuck it up!!"
Good luck brother, see you on the other side.....!!
M, thanks.
S, thanks. I used to do that too on the tires and never had a problem. I think the cyclists over do it.
D, thanks, good advice.
B
Post a Comment