Friday, July 15, 2011
Day's I live for...
Geoff was here only one day and it felt like two or three. That's when you know you had a good time. Today I had to get back into the groove, even though I only took one day off it felt like I took a couple days off.
I wanted to ride early then remembered I don't have my bike, it needed to be picked up at Wheels. Then I realized I had a conference call with Mixbook at 2 pm, which meant I'd have to wait until after 2 pm to do my 3 hour ride. I didn't mind, part of my training right now is heat training. I'd rather acclimatize now than at IMLP and if it's cool there my body will be more efficient. That's what happened last year, I trained in the heat and race day was perfect, cooler and cloudy.
The bike cost me $187 dollars, they put on the right pedals and cleats. I think that's why they were squeaking prior, I had the recreational version and they probably aren't used to the wattage. They swapped them out for no additional cost. I also had them put two new tires on for me. I can put the tires on myself but why bother if they can do it. I find my hands hurt for a couple days after from pulling and struggling with it.
I had my conference call which lasted all of about 10 minutes and the customer insists his projections are correct for next year. I still find it hard to believe. If they are, I'm going to make a ton of money.
I got on the ride by 2:45 pm and had a great ride. It was about 26 C out and 24 kph wind. I ended up averaging 31 kph. Last year my last long ride of 3:30 was 30.75 kph. On the road I crossed paths with Shaw and stopped to talk. He was frustrated with the wind today and didn't know what direction it was coming and going and changing. He felt he was against it all day. Truthfully it didn't bother me at all, I was in the zone. I find when I listen to music time goes by faster than listening to talk radio. I'm glad Shaw showed me the water fill up station on the route I go. I had 5 large water bottles on today's ride and NO food. I intentionally didn't want to eat food.
The ride was awesome. It's one of those days I life for. The trees are full green and leafy. The sun is out and I ride through sunny patches and beautiful tree lined canopies and with the weather warm out it makes it heaven.
When I got home I was thinking of going for a run and a swim. Not necessary, just feeling ambitious. Alice and I went to the Black Swan for dinner and I was going to do some training after. Then I had a beer and lost my motivation. Not that I went overboard, I didn't.
We got home and just hung around doing not much, I had a couple more beers and then fell asleep on the couch and got up and went to bed. Uneventful. I was happy that I had some healthy food, pasta, for dinner and I ate pretty healthy today. I had a little snack of potato chips, no major pig out.
On the family front I did book a short trip for Alice and I in early August. The kids are going to be at my parents in Winnipeg and we decided to take a 3-night trip to Myrtle Beach. We've never been there and found out that Spirit Airlines now files out of Niagara International Airport. The flight was $350 for the both of us return and it's under 2 hours.
The next month is going to fly by. We have IMLP coming up next week. We leave Wednesday or Thursday. The race is Sunday. Party on the deck Monday. Drive to Ottawa for another party at Lindy and Reuben's house. Then back to Burlington and on Thursday night I'm having a party for Simon @tritwins at the Pig & Whistle. Then the following week Alice and I will be going to Myrtle Beach on August 4th to the 7th. Then on the 14th I race Steelhead with Al and Justin and Finally on August 27th I have the House of Payne Beer run which is going on the road this year and will be at the Grant Estate.
Whew, just writing all that is making me tired. Talking about writing I got a great pen from Tin Cup when we were there yesterday. I inadvertently walked out with it and noticed I took it after I walked out. It's very nice. They should give it to patrons every time they sign their bills. Great promo piece.
Long Bike - 3:26:20 / 106.89 km / 31.1 kph avg
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I had that same ride experience on Saturday, I took the scenery in and just loved riding the bike. Good stuff man.
Myrtle beach? Ehhhh last time I was there it was a shit hole (that was just my opinion). You will make your own fun though.
We really enjoyed Hilton Head, South Carolina.
M, thanks. I hear that Myrtle beach is a shit hole by some and not bad from others. Keeps it interesting. I only hear good things about hilton head though, wish they flew there.
Post a Comment