Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Off to Party in Ottawa...

It was check out day and off to Ottawa for a Party at Rueban and Lindy's place. Rueban is from Malaysia and knows Simon well. Simon connect Rueban and I last year and him and Lindy came to our house to visit a Rueban and I went for a 3 hour plus ride. They are great people.

For the first time ever that I can remember Reid and Alyssa where packing and pushing me to get ready and out the door. They were ready to leave Lake Placid. I don't blame them, other than the Ironman you can only spend a couple days in Lake Placid before getting bored. We had one stop before we left, Reid wanted to get a Raccoon hat he saw.

I wasn't feeling to bad from last night other than I would have preferred to sleep rather than drive and driving from Lake Placid is smaller country highways, lots of twists and turns, ups and downs and thru small towns with un-synchronized traffic lights and road construction.

We got to Ottawa just with enough time to check into the hotel and then get to Rueban's and Lindy's. They invited a lot of their friends they met through cycling. Rueban's a big time cyclist and Lindy got into running and is now considering Triathlons. She was a competitive swimmer as a kid. I told her she'll do well with that sort of a background.

Rueban was also telling me about the Paleo Diet for Athletes, it's a primal diet. It was the exact same diet that Bob was telling me about last night. He says you can't gain weight on it. Rueban was already skinny, and lost another 12 lbs. He's now down to 130 lbs. He was not always skinny, he was a previous fat guy and lost over 80 lbs.

The party was a lot of fun. Lots of cycling talk. I love it. Alice I'm sure is sick of it. I also got a great idea for my next party. Rueban met a guy cycling who is a chef and runs a in-house catering service. They had the party catered. His buddy cooked and they had a "Manuel" faulty towers style old man server going around giving food and drinks. It was great. Rueban and Lindy were able to enjoy the company. I'm a terrible host to begin with so this might be the answer to make sure everyone is taken care off. With me your lucky if I get you your first drink and rarely do I get you a second. At my place I believe in the self-serve model of hosting. I'm the anti Martha Steward.

We left just after midnight and gave Shilpa and the kids a ride home and Simon stayed to commiserate.

Below is a video someone sent me that was put together from this years Lake Placid. The Captain made the video at 4:04 of the video.

No Training - Recovery.

No comments: