Friday, July 8, 2011

The ideal day...


I laid in bed and pre-planned my day before opening my eyes. The priority was a training day. I closed a big deal yesterday and felt no guilt about me time today. It's also my last big training weekend before my taper for IMLP begins.

My plan was to do the speed work sessions I missed earlier in the week on the bike and run and combined them with today's speed swim. I woke up and made a call to LA Fitness, the pool was now officially open and in 4 minutes I was at LA fitness and hammered out 3300 yards. Turns out the pool is not in meters as promised. Which I really don't care about, just means a few more laps.

The pool was empty. Just me until the last 15 minutes when a woman in a wheelchair came and started swimming. The pool is only 4 ft deep and I few time I lost sight of her thinking she was drowning. She was floating on her back. I felt a sense of obligation to keep an eye on her, it felt like the right thing to do.

There is no greater feeling than being able to get to the pool in 4 minutes and return in 4 minutes. It used to take me over 40 minutes round trip to go to the YMCA. My gas savings is going to pay for my membership. The hours are great to, the pool is open from 5 am - 12 midnight during the week and no young kids soiling the pool. Although I did take a few little tinkles in the pool to Cristen is today.

When I got home I printed out the Mixbook contract, signed it and sent it in. Then it was off for my bike speed work. I wasn't looking forward to it, it was a hard set and longer than most and it was starting to get very warm outside. I was right. It was tough and the heart rate got up into the 160's. It felt great spinning in for the last 25 minutes.

The last thing I needed to do was go to the track and do a tough running speed work session. I procrastinated until around 2 pm. I really didn't want to do it. I was already feeling a little weak from the swim and ride. My chest was also really sore from doing weights a couple days ago.

I forced myself out the door regardless and drove to the track. It was hot out, 31 C / 88 F and in the mid-day sun. The track is black and the bottom of me feet were getting hot as I ran. After the first 10 minutes I wanted to quit. Actually it was even before that. I forgot to bring my heart rate monitor and garmin gps and was almost going to go home and get them to procrastinate getting on the track. I decided to SIU and stay and complete the workout.

It was easily the hardest track workout I've ever done. The main set was 3 x 1600 meters. The only thing that kept me going was training in the mid day heat. I'm not sure how hot IMLP is going to be and I'd rather prepare for hot weather, like I did last year. Then if it's not hot, the body races even easier, like I did last year. The last 8 x 100 meters on the infield was brutally hard. The hardest was my chest was so sore from lifting weights and the breasts were jiggling as I ran, they hurt. I guess that's what a women must feel like. Had I known I would have worn a sports bra.

In the end I did it all. Done, complete, no corners cut and was so glad to end the day on a positive note. When I got home, I showered and had some beers. Then later on Alice and I went to Jamie and Barb's and hung out in their backyard. It's so relaxing back there. We had a few more beers and then headed home. The plan is to get up and go for a long ride with Jamie at 6 am.

When I got home I hadn't eaten tonight so in anticipation of having some energy for tomorrows ride I made a big banana pancake and a couple bowls of cereal and a whole lot of water. I liked the idea of getting the ride done early, I was just not wanting to bonk. Although I am on the fence of doing it early because if I do it in the afternoon it helps with heat acclimatization preparation and I had riding in the cold.

Today we got a wedding anniversary card from Alice's sister. It was delayed do to the postal strike. Great card, very true picture according to Alice.

Speed swim - 1:12:39 / 3017 meters
Speed Bike - 1:24:22 / 41.99 km / 29.9 kph avg / 140 avg hr
Speed Run - 1:02:32 / 12.94 km / 4:50 avg km pace

No comments: