Saturday, July 23, 2011

Ironman Lake Placid Day 2...









Woke up at 9:30 am. Checked the computer and got a drunk email from my brother Bob at 4:53:09 AM EDT. It read as follows:

hey bro,
just wanna say I love ya!!!! bigtime!! for your race! I wish you all the best!
PLease if you have a hard moment! call me!! I will help you> Love you buddy!
Bobbie

I loved it. Nothing like a drunk email.

Then I emailed Jamie to see if he wanted his bike for the race. I got an email back, "I'm at home". That's a definite no for sure. It's too bad he's in shape to do it. His training has been solid. At least he used it as a goal that got him back into great shape. At least him and Barb got away for a couple of days. Unfortunately we won't be sipping beers together on Monday, I'm sure we'll make up for it in the not to distant future.

Around 11:30 am I went for a pre-race ride and run. Then packed up the gear and walked over with Simon and the family to drop off the stuff. Afterwards we went into the expo tent and most of the stuff was gone or it just had the generic Ironman logo on it. I like the stuff that has the logo and the event name and year on it. I got a golf style shirt. Reid bought a shirt that he's going to alter with a permanent marker and write, "watching Ironman's Suck". The only other thing we bought was absorbent Ironman coasters. Perfect, we needed those, I hate when my glass sticks to the coaster.

Around 2:30 pm we went for an early Italian dinner with Simon and his family. It was enjoyable and relaxing. Super nice people. I thought his kids were about 7 years old, it turns out their 5 1/2 years old. They are super cute. After lunch we went for a short drive, I picked up some electrolyte drink, we then went for soft ice cream cone and picked up the marker for Reid. Then it was back home.

I bought two types of electrolyte drinks. HEED from Hammer and One from GU. I'm not a big fan of Hammer and the first bike store we went to is all they had. We found a second bike store and they had GU as well, so I bought it. I love the GU gel. When I got back to the room I did the taste test. GU won. I'll see if someone wants to buy my HEED.

I'm writing the blog early. I'm not sure if the kids are going to a movie or what at 9:45 pm. It's 6:45 pm now and I'm just going to hang around the room and relax right after I put my morning stuff out and set the three alarms for 5:30 am. There is the iPhone, the hotel alarm clock and the front desk wake up call. It's supposed to be a little cooler tomorrow.

My focus right now is to get some rest and try to look forward to the race and enjoy it.

On the family front, Reid decided not to sell his hats after all. I'm happy about that. He bought them to collect them, not sell. For him to make money that is worth while he would have had to sell each one for $48. So he got on Facebook and told his buddies he decided to keep them.

Pre Race Bike - 23:31 / 10.21 km / 26.0 kph avg
Pre Race Run - 14:02 / 2.9 km / 4:50 km avg pace

2 comments:

BL said...

Have a good race! I'll be tracking both you and Simon.
Watching Ironman's Rock! Later, Bob.

Bryan said...

B, thanks.