Thursday, July 28, 2011

It's all good...























I thought I'd maybe show up for work today. Heck, they didn't even know I was gone for the past week. Instead I did the Costco run for tonight's party and did a swim at LA fitness. By the time I finished the swim and then sat in the hot tub for 20 minutes I felt done. I was going into tonight's party with the gang tired and on edge. Alice was the same.

A little after 5 pm Bob, the fireman brother from another mother from Windsor showed up. It was so great to finally meet him. Bob is the guy that doesn't comment often on the blog but when he does it's brilliance. Tombs of wisdom.

It's interesting to meet a blog or twitter guy for the first time. You have this great relationship online and in a way you're not sure if meeting in person will fuck it up. Bob was one of those guys that exceeded your expectations. He showed up and I was thinking.......what did I do to deserve such an awesome guy to want to visit the House of Payne. He's the real deal.

It was funny, as the night went on, the kids actually joined us downstairs at one point. That's rare with other people around. I've always joked to Reid that he had an older brother named Robert. Alice had a miscarriage before Reid. I told Reid that she flushed Robert, his older brother down the toilet. At times I'll ask Reid, "what would Robert do?"

When I met Bobbie, I realized this is what Robert would look and be like. He was my miscarriaged son. I told Reid and Alyssa that this was their brother Robert. Both looked at him, saw him and thought that would be cool to have him as a brother. Bob was trying to tell me that he was only 4 years younger than me and I really couldn't be his dad. I was having no part of it....Robert.

After all was said and done and I was calling Bob Robert, I eventually realized that Bob and Robert where the same name. Doh.

Simon has driven me crazy since Ironman China. Telling me that he kicked my ass at drinking then and will now. That my beer is crap light beer. All in fun and it drives me crazy. I guess I'm competitive and take my beer drinking seriously. Tonight I wanted to put it all to bed once and for all. It would be too painful to go another year of being harassed on twitter. First thing I started to do was photograph ever beer I drank and then post to twitter.

I started at least a couple hours before Simon. When Simon and family showed up I started doing the same thing with his beers, I took a photo. By the time he arrived I was already feeling NO pain. I probably had about 8 half litre glasses of beer. Maybe more.

I was still sober enough to make sure I have his sons Seb & Sid some gifts from Uncle Bryan. I think I may know what it's going to be like to be a grand parent. I spent about an hour in the store looking at stuff to buy them. It took a while, there was so much I wanted to get them but had to narrow it down. I bought a gift bag and in the bag was a Transformer toy, a big bag of assorted chocolate bars, juicy fruit gum and one had a Canadian flag and the other had Canada tattoo stickers.

It was awesome watching them look at it all. I helped them open the bag of chocolate and then watched them open the little boxes as they were in between games on the pinball machine. One asked me where the trash was I told him not to worry, just throw it on the floor. Which he did and he couldn't stop laughing and thinking that was cool. Both of them loved the pinball and slot machine. Reid also took them to jump on the trampoline and do a little skateboarding. They seemed to be having a blast.

In one of my drunken moments I had to fix the slot machine. One of the coins got stuck and I think Sid told me. I fixed it and he asked what was the matter. I told him to go tell his mom and dad that "one of the fucken coins was stuck", make sure they know it was "the fucken coin". I'm a total bad influence on kids. Shilpa was surprised with what he said and before she could give heck to Sid, I think Alice may have told her it's not his fault it's that big kid over there's fault. She was a good sport about it and I apologized half heatedly. I love those two little guys, they are so damn cute.

Before John Proc came today I was telling Bob and Ian about John wearing his finishers medal after Ironman Lake Placid and telling me that he planned on wearing it the entire week where ever he goes. To work, to the store, where ever. I even teased him that he'd be having sex with it on and I got the feeling he seriously had no problem with that. John told me that last year after he finished his first 70.3 half Ironman that he wore his Muskoka medal the entire week to work. That it fostered a lot of conversation.

I think it's cool and takes extremely big balls to do that. I love it. So in honour of John I decided to find my 9 Ironman finishers medals and wear them around my next. I thought it would be funny when he shows up and he has his one medal and I'm binged out with 9 finishers medals. Unfortunately I could only find 7 Ironman finishers medals. I forgot that Alyssa must have lost two of them when she was a little girl. She probably left them in a park sandbox or something. They were my finishers medals from Ironman Canada (87 & 91).

When John came it I wished I could have captured the look on his face when he saw my medals. It was like he had a major doze of "Medal Envy". I'm sure tomorrow when he's back at work he'll be showing off his medal he's glad I don't work in the same company or attend the same meetings. John would have his one medal and I'd have my 9. That would be a classic moment in work history.

The second guy to show up to the party was Ian (@pedalmanTO). I told him to come earlier. He has a meeting tomorrow with his boss at 7:30 am and wouldn't be able to stay long and had to catch the Go Train back to Toronto. I'm glad he came early it gave us some time to talk. Like Bob, I've never met Ian face to face. I've spoken to him on the phone, twittered and only exchanged emails with him. Turns out he's a great guy face to face as well and I got to learn a little more about him. I didn't realize that at one time he was a Category One cyclist. That's the highest calibre in cycling. He's also did triathlons over 20 years ago and is no training for his first in a long, long time. The Muskoka 70.3 in September. One thing he did and he shouldn't have was bring me some beautiful cigars. One day we are going to have to smoke them together.

It was also nice to see Doru. I haven't seen him since my Kona party. As always Doru is Doru. An honest guy who you can trust with your life and is kind to all. It was nice to finally hook up and I was surprised to see that he even went home at a reasonable time. Miha was there to drive and normally Doru stays till the end and told me he'd have to leave earlier. I was totally cool with that, actually I was impressed with the self-control and consideration. I don't know if I could do that. Just showed me that he's in control and on track. On an Ironman front, Doru and Miha have signed up for Ironman Mon Tremblant next year. So is Fran and John and I can't remember if Carlos and Fernanda are doing it. Either way, there will be a good sized group of them going.

Carlos and Fernanda came as well. It's always great to see them. Carlos is one of the nicest guys ever. They told me that they are doing Ironman Brazil in 2013 and wanted to know who wanted to do it with them. I said I'm in if they could guarantee my safety from not getting kidnapped. They said where we are going is safe and shouldn't be a problem. It's not in Rio or San Paulo. I'm very serious about wanting to maybe go with them. I just have to convince Alice. I need to convince her to go to Malaysia and now Brazil. She's not a fan of any food that isn't normal western food.

It was also great to see John and Heather again. John's a true friend. He was so pumped that we were able to pick up an Ironman street light for him from Lake Placid. He loved mine and always wanted one. He was like a kid in a candy store. He's also looking pretty fit and I think he's on the bubble about doing Steelhead with us. I hope he decides to do it. After talking with Bob, I think myself, Al and the boys are going to stop by Bobbies place on our way home from Michigan and have a beer or more.

I did the typical Captain's hats head shots. One day I'm going to do a photo book and put everyones picture who has worn the captains hat into the book.

As the night went on it whittle down to a small group of the hard core, Simon, me & Alice and kids, Bob & John Proc & Fran. Bob tapped out around 4 am and I can't remember when John left. I do remember Simon bringing three Montecristo Number 2's, one for me, Reid and him and the three of us sat around the bar and smoked them. Reid loved it. Simon was funny when he said, "I'm not 100% behind your parenting style with allowing your 14 year old to smoke cigars, but if you're good with him smoking a cigar, I got him one too".

At one point in the night the beer bong came out. Simon knew how to play me like a fiddle. He didn't pull from it but he was able to convince me to "show him" twice before Alice took it away and banished it to a place that she says I'll never find it or see it again. Using that thing is like mainlining beer right to the brain.

It was one, if not the latest night at the Pig & Whistle. It was a Matty O night. I remember the sun was up when I started to fall asleep with my head down on the bar. I think Simon watched me sleep on the railing of the bar and I'm sure he was laughing. I'm glad he was able to make it down to the Pig & Whistle and meet all the other twitter and blog buddies. It's amazing how great everyone is and how well everyone just hit it off. We are all definitely birds of a feather.

By the end of the night, from photo's only, I drank 6 litre's of beer. Not counting the beer bong or glasses of beer that I drank that I forgot to photograph. I also think I got more beer given to me as a gift than I have in my kegerator. One awesome impromptu gift I got was from Bob, it was his baseball style fireman's cap. It is very cool. It's now going to be a permanent addition to the Pig & Whistle. The only casualty we had was Carlo's broken wine glass on the pool table. It's not a good party until someone breaks something.

Easy Swim - 44:56 / 2011 meters

8 comments:

Doru said...

As always, I had a really, really good time meeting you and the guys. For some reason Your parties at the Pig & Whistle somehow always end up being epic. I so wish that I could stay until the morning but I promised Miha that we'll leave earlier. Miha usually does not enjoy these parties as she's the designated driver and it's not as much fun when you cannot drink. The plan was that we were to leave at 11 but this time Miha had a great time as well and she did not ask me to leave until 1:30AM, which is really, really late for her :-).

It was great to meet Ian, Simon and Bob and put a face behind their names. They are all great guys, just as I imagined and I hope to meet them again in the future.

B., thanks again for the invitation. You’re a very good man and I am proud to call you a friend.

Pedalman said...

It was great to spend some time with the group and have a few pulls at the Kegerator. It is true that the best people in this world are triathletes! Meeting Bob, Doru, Mihah, John and Fran was awesome. Being able to shake Carlos' hand and hug Fernanda was amazing. They like yourself have been my most supportive friends over the past 2yrs.
I look forward to sparking that cigar with you in the near future.
Keep the Rubber Side Down.
*Word of Warning* Don't ever let your camera go unattended at Bry's place, you'll get home and realize there's a full moon waiting for you!
Haha!

JohnP said...

No no dont forget the other casualty - that Romanian guy dropped a glass too lol! :)

Epic night indeed! Simon is a shit disturber - he totally out waited you, I can't believe his patience. Most laid back guy I've ever met in my life! Hilarious!!

The sun rose as we drove home. OMG I can't believe that is twice in the same week with you - you are a bad influence!

Thanks for making my first Ironman a fuckin' EPIC experience! Seriously I think all the post-race festivities trumped the race itself. I'll gladly do another Ironman before coming to your place for parties haha!

DRog said...

great pics!

A buddy of mine here in Mpls is signed up and doing IMBrazil in 2012

I know WI is still missing from your completed IM list
2013?! I cant decide if I am gonna do it next year ...

Bryan said...

D, glad you could come, it was great seeing you again. The fact that you left at 1:30 am I give big respect to. It's very civilized. I dream of being able to do that. Glad Miha had a good time. I always feel sorry for here when she can't drink and join the fun.

I, definitely those cigars are saved for you and I and Reid. haha. What didn't you like the photo's? haha

J, you mean Carlos, he's Brazilian, not that it matters, still a foriegner. haha. Love the Ironman's aren't as tough comment. haha

D, let me get back to you. That might not be a bad plan.

B

Simon said...

OK here it is, my official response, haha. First of all my boys just love their Uncle Bryan, not for the gifts but for his awesomeness, he's one of them! It was an EPIC night from start to finish for adults and kids.

There were definitely a subgroup of the WAGS that were giving Bryan the hairy eyeball and not making any attempt to hide it haha.

Sid was almost pinned against the wall by Shilpa when he came up to her and said "Mummy, the fucken coin is lost in the fucken machine". She got over it though and the boys are smart enough not to repeat their "new" words since.

It was awesome meeting Doru and Carlos for the first time (and I mean really awesome, those guys ROCK I've wanted to meet them for ever!).

Also to meet John Barclay again. I haven't seen him since China, I just love that guy.

I think Ian must have left before I arrived? Or I was too drunk to remember - Bryan can u help out there?

John Proc and Fran are two of my most favourite people in the world. In fact the only reason I'm not running away with Fran is because John is such an amazing guy (also my wife won't let me haha).

As for Bob, what an honour to have met him. He kept saying it was a honour to meet me and Bryan but it was the other way around - just epic.

By the end of the evening Bryan was nicely worked up into a frenzy to the point that Alice was worried about my safety haha. It was amazing and a dream come true to tap Bryan out AGAIN. To summarise: - China, Lake Placid, Ottawa and now on his own turf at the Pig & Whistle. HOWEVER, I have to be fair, I probably drank considerably less than Bryan on every one of these occasions - I just wait him out and he duly obliges by self-destructing. Haha, yes I am a sad Mofo. (I could never drink the volume that he drinks).

Not only did I watch you fall asleep on the bar Bryan I took that last picture of you above (note how sunny it was), I apologised to Alice and then drove back to the hotel at about 8am(Oops).

On a final note I've just got to say a huge thank you to Alice, she is a legend, so supportive of Bryan and relaxed around his drunken friends. Reid and Alyssa are just so cool too, they take it all in their stride (and have a few laughs at our expense too I suspect).

A night at the Pig & Whistle should be on everyone's bucket list. One of the highlights of my holiday so far and will be vividly remembered for years to come.

Postscript: -
Bryan drank nothing from the bong but wore a lot of it and tried to turn the Pig and Whistle into a beer swimming pool - hence Alice getting a tad upset.

Also he forgot to mention the pints of beer through a straw...but then that is another story.

Next day at Niagara Falls was a very very long day for me haha

Did I mention it was an EPIC NIGHT?

Thanks Bryan, Alice, Alyssa and Reid.

Matty O said...

Simon, you seriously summed up my last experience up there too. Great family and loved your comment to B about Reid and the cigars haha.

Definitely kicking myself for not getting up there. Timing was horrible on my end. There will be other parties though.

I think the only way to meet simon is to travel to his turf now :(

I will say one thing though, I went beer for beer with B when I tapped him out. The man can drink!

Great recap, and seems like an even greater group of people!

Bryan said...

S, great post. I didn't bring up about drinking a beer from a straw because frankly, that's just gay. I know its' cool where you come from so I wanted to be supportive. hahaha. Glad you guys could make it. It was a lot of fun.

M, if you travel to Simons turf to meet him, make sure you get your shots. haha. Yes, you did tap me out, that I acknologde. Simon just stayed up later, like girls at a sleep over. haha.

B