Sunday, July 17, 2011
Perfect Sunday...
I can't remember the last time I worked so hard around the house and I actually enjoyed it. I felt like I did something.
It all started with me getting an email from a guy nearby that has a fridge for sale for $25. I emailed him back and forth and determined it would house a back up keg. I was thinking of borrowing Jamie's but his only does 20 and 30 litre kegs. I wanted one that holds the big boy 58 l kegs. I'm always worried I'll get a bad keg with the little guys because they are not used in high demand.
After much convincing to Alice to let me get the new fridge I drove to the guys house to pick it up. My argument with Alice was that I'd remove the old non working fridge from the storage area and replace it with one that worked and she could even use it if she needs the extra room, or I can use it for cigars or I can use it every once in a while when I need a back up keg, like the party I'm hosting for Simon at the Pig & Whistle next Thursday. I also promised her I'd get rid of the old one right away. No eye sores.
When I got home I used my dolly and maneuvered the fridge down the side of the house and into the basement. One of the best purchases I ever made was that dolly. The real work was pulling all the junk out of the storage area and then removing the old fridge and putting everything back. The new fridge just managed to fit. It was bigger than the old fridge.
I moved the old fridge back up the side of the house and put it in my truck. I was going to drop it off at the dump tomorrow morning and then became paranoid that maybe oil would leak out of it because it's on it's side. So I suggested to Alice that we should drive to Sears Appliance and drop if off in the back behind the store and flee. I didn't even get that far. I remember an appliance repair shop that I visited once in an remote mall and dropped it off outside of their door in the parking lot. After I left I felt bad and picked up some paper towel at a garage station and had Alice write, "Free for Parts" and we went back and I put it in the fridge. It was my way of saying, "hey, I'm doing you a favour" and covering my ass if they had cameras. I didn't want them to think I dumped it, which I did.
With the new fridge I had to make some adjustments for it to hold a keg. There is a motor area on the floor of the fridge and I needed to figure out a way to raise the front so that the floor was flat and I could fit a keg in it. I figured bricks and a piece of plywood would do it. Across the road from us is a new housing development and rather than go to Home Depot I figured they'd have scraps lying around. I was right. At the construction office they had a pile of rubell with all sorts of bricks and cinder blocks. I filled up the truck and headed home. I took more than I needed just to be safe.
It turns out the cider blocks didn't work, however I re purposed them by using them as grounding weight for Reid's broken basketball net, which I also fixed today. His net used to hold water for grounding and now it has a leak and near fell on one of the cars during a wind storm, so it's been lying at the side of the house blocking the sidewalk for the last couple months. Next thing I knew the net was fixed and anchored with cinder blocks.
of the bricks I took, one style was perfect. Unfortunately I didn't have enough of those. So it was back to the rock pile to get rid of the ones that didn't work, pick up more of the good ones and get a couple more cinder blocks for more weight on the basketball net, better safe than sorry. I also spent some time driving around the new house construction until I found a pile of plywood scraps. I wanted to cut one to be my floor that sat over my bricks. I found one and it was near the perfect size, I just needed to make one cut and it fit like a glove. I don't have a regular saw so I used the Jig Saw I got Reid.
I was going to do a 2.5 hour tempo run today but my legs are thrashed and my right calf had a knot in it. I didn't want to risk energy. My plan was to do a light bike sometime today, I loved the fact that it was 104 F although I just didn't feel strong. As I did my work around the house I was getting farther and farther away from training. Not that it matters, I'm in taper and would rather my body become fully rested before next Sunday.
Instead I decided I wanted to sit on the deck and barbecue. Alice picked up some Chicken and I cooked beer can chicken on the Weber and drank beer all afternoon. In keeping with my Mr. Fixit attitude I even fixed the patio umbrella that one of the arms broke.
I'm thinking for the Ironman I should have a cigar in my special needs bag with a lighter and smoke it for the ride and or run. I think it would be cool to cross the finish line puffing on a big stogie.
Easy Bike - 1:02:44 / 30.31 km / 29.0 km avg
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good lookin patio umbrella !!!
your sentence is fragmented for the cigar...new classic finish planned for LP with adult beverage AND Cigar?!
D
dude, hilarious pictures haha.
Sooooo is there anything in the WTC rules about smoking while competing?
D, yeah, I figured you like your TPPF present. haha.
M, good question. I think that would be great coming across the finish with a stogee.
Post a Comment