Sunday, July 31, 2011
Paleo Day Two...
Me caveman, me on day two of caveman diet!!!
It was interesting to say the least. The first thing that happened was I had to download in the washroom at least 3 or 4 times, I can't remember. It was black looking crap, pun intended. Even got to the diarrhea stage on the last two. I did notice on one of them the bathroom had a grapefruit smell. Don't laugh, but it's happened before, when I start losing weight at the beginning there is this grapefruit smell. I took that as a good omen.
Next thing I noticed was I was tired all day. I couldn't keep my eyes open, all I wanted to do was lie down and sleep. I napped for hours throughout the day.
I did go for a run and the plan was to do an hour, I barely lasted 30 minutes. At the 5 minute point I was mentally and physically tired and wanted to turn around and come home. I'm not sure if that was from the diet or IMLP, although I didn't feel too bad during yesterday's 90 minute ride. But that was only day one on the diet as well.
I was glad I did get out and run, my legs felt like they had some knots in them, especially one side of my calf and Achilles and eventually they worked their way out on the run. Near the end of the run I did have more energy and though part of the issue is I was running in 90 F.
Another highlight of my Paleo day two experience is that I can't stop eating, yet when I get enough I stop. All day it seemed every 2 hours I'd start to get hungry, then I'd fire up the barbecue and throughout the day I ended up cooking hamburger, pork chops and chicken and lots of it. I also ate salad and lots of fruit. Prior to my workout I had a smoothie with whey protein, the books says athletes should. Throughout the day I had grapes, nectarines, oranges and bananas. Like I said I was eating a lot.
After I'd eat, I was full and didn't have a craving for food. That's when initially I started to take long naps on the couch. Then I must have sleep enough, I was now awake and kept myself busy with busy work on the computer. At first I was looking for Ironman races that were still open for this year that I could do.
I haven't yet seen it, but after every Ironman I get the Ironman blues. My brain chemistry starts to go crazy and I start to feel unstable. Usually the best reciepe to fix it is to sign up for another Ironman. I'm come to realize I like the romance and fear of having to keep in shape by training for an Ironman. The only thing holding me back from doing it is the expense. Ironman's are expensive when you factor in the travel costs. I'm not so worried about the clothing costs, I have most every piece of Ironman clothing. I even bought an Ironman tie at Lake Placid. It sits on my golfer in the Pig & Whistle.
Then I spent a lot of time on the computer and reading a body building book I picked up at Popeye's regarding body building nutritional supplements. I'm now convinced that triathletes, at least age groupers, do not utilize things like creatine and other muscle building agents that enhance muscle performance and recovery. There is no group of people in the word that know more about nutrition and supplements than body builders, bar none.
Just a quick stop to the bodybuilding store and reading through some of the body building magazines it's obvious these people know about this stuff. In fact, the magazine I was reading had nothing but pages after pages of discussions about nutritional supplements. I'm definitely going to start trying them. Right now I'm on the Beta Alanine which is an amino supplement. I've always wanted to try creatine but was under the impression you retain water and for vanity reasons I didn't want to bloat up. Not I see that most of them have a no bloating recipe and some even have Beta Alanine in them.
After that I spent a couple of hours signing up for travel reward cards. I have a best western card and forgot to use it. I called the hotels in Lake Placid, Ottawa and St. George and got them to add my points. I did the same with Southwest. Then I signed up for every other major hotel, airline and car rental rewards program and put the numbers in my iPhone. Can't hurt. I was looking to see if I could get some free nights for our trip to Myrtle beach this week. Normally naming your own price on Priceline is a guaranteed way to save money. I've tried it at least 15 times and no one has bit at my bids. Hopefully as this is the week we'll be arriving they will get more aggressive and serious about taking lower bids.
I spent a lot of time today cleaning up the images on my computer. The hard drive is near full. If anyone takes pictures it's me. I delete over 600 and that was just the tip of the iceberg. I also spent a lot of time trying to fix my Sirius app on my iPhone. I upgraded it to the next version and it doesn't work properly. Just by chance I realized I had the old version in iTunes. I'm like McGyver with software. All's good. I couldn't imagine training without listening the Howard Stern or the 70's station.
Back to the Paleo diet. I must say it feels very strange and wrong eating just meat, fruit, vegetables and nuts. It's one of the most unscientific diets I've ever read as it's based on what we think our caveman ancestors ate. Yet it seems to be so damn popular. I did a lot of reading about it on the Internet and everyone seems to agree it is a good diet and that without trying, at least in the beginning, your guaranteed to lose weight.
Reading the comments is definitely keeping me positive about the diet. I do find that when I'm full I'm full, yet that only lasts for about 2 hours. I swear I ate more meat today than I have for the last week. The real test of the diet is going to be the results. I weighed myself at 189.0 lbs today. I was so elated. I was expecting in the 190's. At 189 lbs I can work with that and it hurts, but doesn't hurt that much to look at. I will say that throughout the day I started feeling less bloated, which is another word for thinner.
Mod Run - 30:49 / 5.92 km / 5:12 km pace
July Totals
Swim - 18.72 km
Bike - 1017.23 km
Run - 167.99 km
Total - 1203.94 km
Weights - 1 session
51,246 Calories
56.85 hours / 31 sessions
189.0 lbs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Interesting that your body has started to react to the change in foods that fast.
I forgot to call you a FAT ASS for racing IMLP at MY CURRENT WEIGHT!!!! wow!!! That must have sucked huh?
M, yup, totally felt disgusted racing as fat as you. Now at least you know you should be able to go as fast as me or faster, your leaner and meaner, right? haha
B
Post a Comment