Monday, July 25, 2011

Let the party begin...







I woke up at 7:45 am and actually had an okay sleep. Usually the sleep after an Ironman is the worst.

First thing I did was go over to the expo for finishers clothing. The store opened at 7 am and normally people stand in line from 6 am. I was hoping the line would be shorter now, I was wrong. There was at least 600 people or more still in line to get into the store.

I stood in line for about 5 minutes and bailed. It would be at least a 2 hour wait and I figured by the time I got into the store everything would be gone. As I was leaving I remember last year, as I stood in line like a lemming, I saw some guys enter the store from the exit at the backside of the tent. So I walked over to the end of the tent, they had no security and I just walked right in. I was pretty impressed with myself, I time traveled, instead of waiting 2-hours I was in in 10 minutes.

The finisher clothing was pathetic. They had a tee shirt, a polo shirt and a jacket. As I was looking at the stuff I was thinking those poor people who've been waiting in line and won't get in for at least two more hours are going to be so disappointed. I grabbed a finishers polo shirt as an addition to my work clothing. I also picked up a couple of stickers AND they had a 50% off sale on a great looking pullover AND, yes, I bought an Ironman tie. I had to, as a gag more than anything. I've never seen one before and it just funny that I've drank the cool aid so much that I went to the extreme of even owing an Ironman tie. I've got to find a place in the Pig & Whistle to hang it. Maybe on the golfer statues neck.

The best part of the going into the tent was meeting Bill Seedes. He's a follower of the blog and did IMLP and raised over $3000 for downs syndrome. He has a daughter with downs. I was great to finally meet him in person and stand in the long line to pay and chat. I was totally impressed that he did so well. About 6 or 8 weeks ago he got in a biking accident with a vehicle and broke his collar bone. Somehow he was able to train in spite of it, although initially he thought there would be no way he'd be able to get to the start line, let alone finish. He breast stroked the entire swim and still did a 1:22. He had a great race. His story and overcoming the adversity was of epic proportions.

Just before 11 am Simon came by and asked me if I wanted to go to the roll down. I went and we saw that the top 5 guys took there spots. I told Alice I wouldn't go to Kona if I qualified, although on the way I asked Simon if he had cash that I could borrow if I got a spot. I'm glad I didn't have to make the final decision and it was made for me, I really didn't want to go. I really don't want to train for another Ironman this year. I need a break. The problem is I'm my own worst enemy, I'm free and then I do something stupid like sign up for another race.

At noon I was out on the deck getting ready for the day of celebratory beers post Ironman. It was a little overcast and was spitting rain. I pulled the tables together and slightly under the roof so the rain wouldn't get us, it was weather wise still too nice to sit inside. The first person to show up was my new buddy Bob, the guy who helped run me in for the last 4 miles. I wasn't yet 100% ready and him and his wife Maggie and two of their daughters hadn't yet eating and I decided to eat and come back later.

Simon was next, we started having the beers and then the rest of the group started to come by. I'm always curious who's going to show up. Every year you invite everyone and some come and some don't.  This year the only person I didn't get a chance to meet was Mandy. I'm not sure is she's okay, he had a 15 hour finish and she really wanted to meet us all. She said she'd be there unless she physically couldn't. I hope she's okay.

It was a good time. Everyone talking Ironman, talking about their race. Reliving the moment. Talking about the course, the cheering fans and all the highlights. Just great brother in arms chilling and enjoying and celebrating each others accomplishments. From my perspective it was awesome. It was kind of surreal seeing everyone who reads my blog and who came together via the Internet meeting each other for the first time in person. Putting face to names and creating live long bonds.

People came and went throughout the day. The folks that showed up were Simon and Shilpa, myself and Alice, Derek, Paul Dietrich, Rodney and Lisa, John and Fran, and Bob and Maggie. We shared a lot of stories and a lot of laughs. At one point it started raining and we moved inside. The hotel was great the entire night we didn't see one staff member, no one told us to quiet down. At one point as the night progressed I even started smoking a cigar inside and no one said a word. I can't say how much fun the day and night was. Bob and Maggie were a surprise visit. Here's a guy I met less than 24 hours ago and now he feels like a life long friend. They are even thinking about making the trip to Toronto for the house of payne beer run and seeing Toronto as a holiday.

As it turns out, I made a mistake, Bob's not from Sarasota Florida, he's from Saratoga New York. Not to far from us. Bob is my kind of guy. He brought beer and wine and then once that was gone, which didn't take long, he had much more in his car as a back up. If they didn't have to get back for work the next day, I'm sure he would have stayed with Simon and I till the end. I think John left at around 4 am and Simon and I were still there at 5 am until the staff said we had to clean up because they were going to be serving breakfast in an hour. Then Shilpa came down and wasn't too impressed with us and reminded Simon he has to drive to Ottawa tomorrow. That's for party number two. I'll be there too.

I think neither of us wanted to leave. First off it was fun and great and deep conversation. Especially at the end between John Proc, Fran, Simon and myself. You always get to deep conversation or as I like to call it, booze talk, in the wee hours of the morning. That's when the inner feelings and core of the person comes out. If you remember what you said or what you heard the next day is another thing. From what I recall it was all good. It just added to and deepened the relationships. I do remember telling John that he was still an typical arrogant cyclist two years ago and he's made an incredible transition and is now a triathlete and that means a supportive person. He agreed and loves the support and selflessness of the triathlon community. In my mind, John is now a triathlete not a cyclist and he's one of the few cyclists that has ever made a transition from cyclist to triathlete. He mentioned that sitting together after the race at the food table was a special moment for him. It was for me too. It was without a doubt the best post race moment I've ever had, ever. John and I really bonded last night. I even told him I'd give him access to the new blog. He's now part of an elite group.

I've got to say that this race was one of the most special races I've ever done. Aside from Kona which is just an awesome experience, from a personal bonding level this was by far the best race ever. I can't imagine any other race topping it. The only thing that would have added to it is if Matty O was with us. He's a brother from another mother. I don't want to do another Ironman but I keep thinking about Rev 3 in September and doing it with him. If I don't qualify for Vegas which is the same weekend, I'd love to at minimum go down and watch him and Heather race and finish their first Ironman. Damn I want to be there. They are just great people.

All in all it was a great night and the best part is Simon can't tell me he put me to bed with drinking. Not that I wasn't tired and was close to wanting to go to bed. Neither of us would give an inch. It was all good, I was actually glad the staff and Shilpa gave us the hook.

The only near problem I had was getting back into my room. I didn't have a key and there was a lot of pounding on the door until someone woke up. Reid finally answered the door and I was able hit that pillow.

It was an AWESOME day!!!!!!!!

No Training - Post race celebration

No comments: